Loo lit­tle beauty!

I thought I just needed to go to the toi­let...but then a baby ap­peared!

Chat - - Inside - By Kim Hut­ton, 34, from Pre­ston

On 27 Au­gust last year, as I peered down at what felt like the hun­dredth preg­nancy test, I fi­nally got the news I’d been wait­ing for.

‘We’re hav­ing a baby!’ I squealed.

My hus­band Si­mon, 33, and I had been try­ing for a year or so, and now it was hap­pen­ing! We were thrilled. Si­mon al­ready has a 10-yearold son Liam from a past re­la­tion­ship, and he was so ex­cited to be a big brother.

But this baby would be my first child. Eek!

I started read­ing all the mother-and-baby mags, and spoke to all of my friends who were al­ready mums to get the low­down.

I wanted ev­ery­thing to go as smoothly as pos­si­ble. And it did. I had no sick­ness, no aches or pains and, even bet­ter, our baby was per­fectly healthy.

‘I feel so lucky,’ I said hap­pily to Si­mon.

But I was cer­tain this meant I was go­ing to be hit hard in labour, es­pe­cially as this was my first baby.

My friends had filled me in on their hor­ror sto­ries – 30 hours of push­ing, the ex­cru­ci­at­ing pain, the over­whelm­ing ex­haus­tion…

I was men­tally pre­par­ing my­self for the worst.

We moved into a new house at the end of March.

And on 4 May this year, al­ready over­due, Si­mon and I were just muck­ing around in the bed­room of our new home. We were tak­ing lots of pho­tos of my bump and get­ting ex­cited for the com­ing months.

At around 11pm, we drifted off to sleep.

But at around 1.50am, I woke up and just couldn’t get back to sleep again. I felt rough! It was re­ally un­usual, as I’d felt so well through­out my preg­nancy.

‘Si­mon, I don’t feel so good,’ I said, prod­ding his arm to wake him up.

I felt like I needed to go to the loo.

So I headed to the bath­room, com­plain­ing that I felt sick and my stom­ach felt strange.

Ever the wor­rier, Si­mon phoned the mid­wife, who told him it might be a sign of labour.

But I wasn’t hav­ing con­trac­tions.

I just felt like I had a dicky tummy.

The mid­wife said that, if I was in labour, it’d be ages be­fore any­thing hap­pened any­way.

Phew!

‘Why don’t you let me run you a bath?’ Si­mon sug­gested.

Great idea, but I still felt rough, and I kept get­ting on and off the toi­let.

Then, as I went to get into the bath, my wa­ters sud­denly broke.

Call­ing out for Si­mon, he phoned the mid­wife again.

‘She’s def­i­nitely in labour. Bring her into the hospi­tal,’ she told him.

As Si­mon darted around the bed­room, stuff­ing clothes into a suit­case, I could barely get off the loo. My legs felt like jelly. Sud­denly, I felt as if I re­ally needed to push.

But this wasn’t what all the books had said – I was meant

I felt sick and my stom­ach felt strange...

to have con­trac­tions first.

I still thought I just needed to have a poo.

I was sure I’d feel bet­ter af­ter­wards, and then we could head off to hospi­tal.

When noth­ing seemed to be hap­pen­ing, though, I looked down be­tween my legs – only to see my baby’s head look­ing back at me!

What a shock!

Si­mon rushed in and eased me down to the floor. ‘You need to push, Kim,’ he en­cour­aged. In four min­utes flat, our beau­ti­ful Se­bas­tian James ar­rived on the bath­room floor, weigh­ing 6lb 9oz. I was stunned. But…

Why isn’t he cry­ing?

I thought, anx­ious.

Turned out the um­bil­i­cal cord was wrapped twice around lit­tle Se­bas­tian’s neck, but Si­mon was quick to the res­cue, un­wrap­ping it be­fore Se­bas­tian was starved of oxy­gen.

Se­bas­tian seemed well, and we even snapped his very first photo. Around 15 min­utes later, the am­bu­lance ar­rived, and Si­mon cut the cord.

‘Want a cup of tea?’ I laughed, as they stared down in sur­prise at our new­born.

We were taken to Royal Pre­ston Hospi­tal for a checkup – the doc­tors and nurses there couldn’t be­lieve it.

‘Are you sure this is your first baby?’ they asked again and again.

They also sug­gested that Si­mon should con­sider a ca­reer in mid­wifery!

Af­ter a few su­per­fi­cial stitches, we were soon back home with our beau­ti­ful, new baby boy.

Se­bas­tian is now 4 months old and is a happy, healthy, gor­geous baby.

Si­mon and I hope to have an­other baby at some point in the fu­ture.

I just hope my next labour is as easy as the first!

They sug­gested Si­mon should be a mid­wife!

I had no idea I’d be a mum three hours later!

Si­mon, me, big brother Liam and Se­bas­tian

Our lit­tle man suf­fered no ill ef­fects

I was flooredé Me and Se­bas­tian, just one minute af­ter giv­ing birth

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.