Top of the pops

Lisa’s made a ca­reer out of bal­loons

Chat - - Inside - By Lisa Dussek, from Hemel Hemp­stead

Sur­rounded by 100 in­flated bal­loons, I was in my el­e­ment.

Twist­ing and ty­ing them to­gether, a few hours later, it was fin­ished.

I’d made Dis­ney’s Belle and Chip – stand­ing at 6ft tall – from hun­dreds bal­loons of var­i­ous shapes and sizes.

My blow-up cre­ation was for a client’s birth­day.

See, bal­loons are my bread and but­ter. I make spec­tac­u­lar in­stal­la­tions for par­ties, wed­dings, chris­ten­ings…

It all started when my daugh­ter Talia, 15, and her big sis­ter Charis, now 18, were lit­tle.

With my hus­band Toby at work and the kids at school, I had more time on my hands.

When Charis was 6, she had a Nar­nia party.

I had an amaz­ing time, cre­at­ing a whim­si­cal won­der­land in our liv­ing room and back gar­den.

I got an old wardrobe and Toby took off the back, so ev­ery­one had to climb through it, find­ing their way through fur coats.

Then I filled the lounge with Christ­mas trees to cre­ate a for­est.

‘This is in­cred­i­ble,’ Charis gasped, amazed.

I had so much fun, bring­ing my imag­i­na­tion to life, it made me want to share my cre­ativ­ity.

So, in 2005, I started sell­ing party packs to help par­ents cre­ate mem­o­rable events for their kids.

I’d learnt how to do ba­sic bal­loon decor, but I re­ally wanted to cre­ate more ex­trav­a­gant pieces.

So I went on bal­loon-decor cour­ses, then twist­ing cour­ses, and learnt to do loads – peo­ple, an­i­mals, trees, you name it, I could make it. In 2013, I set up a busi­ness called in­spired­bal­loons. co.uk and started sell­ing all of my cre­ations. And they proved to be very pop­u­lar! Some peo­ple wanted to buy gi­ant zoo an­i­mals as gifts. Oth­ers wanted film char­ac­ters and cus­tomised bal­loons of them­selves. ‘My lit­tle boy wants a De­spi­ca­ble Me party,’ one client said. So I got to work in­flat­ing lots of yel­low and blue bal­loons. Then I made lots of lit­tle and large Min­ions. But I wanted to set my­self a truly mind­blow­ing chal­lenge. So, this sum­mer... ‘I’m go­ing to make a dress out of bal­loons,’ I told Toby

I wanted to learn how to cre­ate more ex­trav­a­gant pieces

Min­ions for a De­spi­ca­ble Me party

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.