My lit­tle ponies!

My tiny horses have BIG per­son­al­i­ties

Chat - - Come on in! - By Jen Bald­win-mur­phy, Kent

Size isn’t ev­ery­thing. Isn’t that the say­ing? And I re­alised the truth of it six years ago...

I’ve been train­ing show horses for 25 years, and was look­ing for a new one to take on the cir­cuit.

I usu­ally went for big horses. But, look­ing on a web­site, I fell in love with an Amer­i­can minia­ture called Lit­tle Dave.

‘He looks fun!’ I grinned to my hus­band David.

I was ex­cited to meet the lit­tle fella – and we bought him.

Train­ing him up, our plucky Lit­tle Dave turned out to be a strong com­peti­tor on the show cir­cuit, par­tic­u­larly in the mini high jump.

We mated him with mini mare Bar­bie, and, in June 2015, Mi­cro Dave was born.

At just 13in tall, he cer­tainly lived up to his name!

I posted a photo of him on Face­book, and very soon his diminu­tive stature be­came the talk of the In­ter­net!

I had vis­i­tors and pa­parazzi show­ing up at our sta­bles, look­ing to catch a snap of Mi­cro Dave, who loved ev­ery sec­ond.

‘He’s lap­ping up all the at­ten­tion!’ laughed David.

Mi­cro Dave’s new-found fame also earned him men­tions on ITV’S Good Morn­ing Bri­tain and The Jonathan Ross Show!

But his celebrity sta­tus wasn’t all good, as Mi­cro Dave soon be­came a mas­sive brat…

He’d gal­lop up to peo­ple, get right in their faces and gen­er­ally act like a loon.

The vis­i­tors loved it – but it wouldn’t win him any points with the horse-show judges! So I had to stop all vis­i­tors to the sta­bles, and get my fa­mous foal in shape for the shows.

It was no mean feat, as the cheeky minia­ture was much harder to train than any of the big­ger horses. But, soon enough, Mi­cro Dave proved a win­ner, and clocked up a good 20 cham­pi­onships in two years.

In the colour classes – where horses are judged based on colour, move­ment and build – he even went up against full-sized stal­lions and won!

But he still had time for his fans. Com­plete strangers would recog­nise him at shows, and he al­ways had time for a selfie.

‘That’s Mi­cro Dave!’ I’d hear peo­ple whis­per­ing.

Ear­lier this year, we mated Lit­tle Dave with a Fal­a­bella mini mare called Rock­star.

And, in May, Mi­cro Dave’s lit­tle sis­ter was born, stand­ing just 15in tall – the size of a bowl­ing pin!

We named her Mi­cro Boo, and she turned out to be just as sassy as her big bro. She’s a right cheeky lit­tle mare! She’s even taken it upon her­self to trot up to the house unan­nounced on a few oc­ca­sions.

This year, Mi­cro Boo made her com­pet­i­tive de­but, and nabbed Foal of the Year, mak­ing it three years in a row for my horses. Mi­cro Dave and Mi­cro Boo were once amongst the small­est horses in the coun­try, but they’ve grown now, stand­ing at 31in and 19in re­spec­tively!

I’ve had so many of­fers from folk who want to buy my mini ponies, but I wouldn’t sell them for all the money in the world.

They’ve got their fair share of fans. But no-one could love them more than I do.

I had pa­parazzi show­ing up at our sta­bles!

Dizzy heights! Mi­cro Dave has grown to a lofty 2ft 7in! Baby Mi­cro Boo!

Bit of a mare! Mi­cro Dave and his mighty mum

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.