Your hol­i­day: Mu­nich

Chat - - Contents -

1 Get a bite-size his­tory les­son Head to Marien­platz, the vi­brant main square, to take in one of the city’s unique sights, the Glo­ken­spiel. Built on the side of the New Town Hall – dat­ing from around 1903 – this quirky me­chan­i­cal clock acts out sto­ries from Mu­nich’s his­tory in a 15-minute show. 2 Get the best view For a bird’s-eye view of the city, make time to climb the 299 steps to the top of St Peter’s Church tower. It’s hard on the legs, but well worth it for the panoramic views. 3 Footie fan? Home to the mighty Bay­ern Mu­nich team, the Al­lianz Arena is a must­see. Join a group tour for a be­hindthe-scenes look. 4 Pause to re­mem­ber… Just a short bus ride from the city cen­tre lie the har­row­ing rem­nants of the no­to­ri­ous Dachau con­cen­tra­tion camp. Now trans­formed into a mu­seum and memo­rial site, it’s a poignant re­minder of the Holo­caust. 5 Raise a stein No trip to Mu­nich is com­plete with­out a visit to the lively Hof­brauhaus beer hall. Sip on a stein of Bavar­ian beer with a tra­di­tional meal, and en­joy the live mu­sic. 6 Get fes­tive… From the end of Novem­ber, the city’s Christ­mas mar­kets have all you need to get into the fes­tive spirit. Browse the hand­made goods, in­dulge in a mulled wine, and ad­mire the gi­ant Christ­mas tree with its 3,000 lights!

The 75,000-seater Al­lianz Arena Shop at a mag­i­cal Christ­mas mar­ket

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.