Having started life as a standard 1964 Ferrari 330GT, this righthand-drive 2+2 was re-bodied in the Modena workshops of Giorgio Neri (the ‘Ne’ of the former Nembo) as a Nembo Spyder in the late 1980s and sold by H&H in its latest auction at Duxford for a deservedly applauded £609,500 (including premium). The funds raised by the sale of the Ferrari – listed in the sale at ‘no reserve’ – will benefit the East Anglian Air Ambulance, as stipulated by owner, the late Richard Allen, who was Chairman of the Ferrari Owners’ Club for many years.
Reckoned to have been worth somewhere between £500k and £1m before the auction, this, the final Nembo Spider (seen below) is the only RHD example and the only one with a four-litre V12.
It was one of three Ferraris that performed well in the cavernous Imperial War Museum at the former WW2 airfield in Cambridgeshire. A 1958 250GT Pininfarina Fixed Head donor that had also been retrospectively re-bodied in aluminium as an utterly convincing California Spyder LWB with the preferred enclosed-headlamps (in period, underpinned by the same Tipo 508D chassis as the 250GT PF Coupé donor) was hammered away by house founder Simon Hope for £505,000. Although the £566,000 (with premium) paid by the new owner was rather less than the £600,000-800,000 presale estimate.
A big-screen video-introduced 1965 330GT, one of just 453 LHD Series 1 cars supplied new to the USA by Luigi Chinetti, was provisionally bid to £175,000, some £25,000 below forecast. The ‘live’ high bid was later accepted by both the auctioneers and the vendor, leaving it to change hands for £196,875 with premium.
‘It’s the final Nembo Spider, and the only one with RHD and a four-litre V12’