A time when cars had to compete with trains on the quayside streets of this seaside town
Holidaymakers parking their cars along the quayside streets of Weymouth in Dorset may have wondered what the two ribbons of steel inset into the road surface were all about. All too soon they might well have found out!
Locals would have known exactly where or where not to park their cars to allow for the passage of trains along the tramway that linked the town’s railhead from 1865 to 1987 with the quay for ferry boats serving the Channel Islands.
Our colourful view from 3 July 1966 shows a British Railways 0-60 diesel-mechanical locomotive hauling a rake of BR MkI coaches in Southern Region green livery having turned the corner from Custom House Quay into Commercial Road.
D2386 was built at Doncaster in 1966 with a 204hp Gardner engine and its short wheelbase and light weight made it a member of a class suited to dock tracks. Reclassified as 03386 in December 1973, it was withdrawn in March 1976.
There’s a fine line-up of British family favourites perched precariously between the train and the quayside. Hopefully that blue Ford Prefect 100E won’t get scratched, likewise the Austin A35 van parked by a warning sign. There’s bags of room for a Lambretta scooter, but the Hillman Husky looks to be parked at a jaunty angle. The Rover P4 and Austin Westminster are well lined up, and the Ford 300E van is more angular than Anglia.
The fisherman perched on the quayside looks like he is waiting for something to happen – perhaps the next frame could have been even more interesting?