MG is sold to Morris Motors, whose rationalisation programme heralds the end of the Wolseley-based overhead-cam engines – and the PB Midget that uses it. Work on a successor using Morris’ own OHV engine begins.
The TA Midget – essentially a Morris-engined PB with a longer wheelbase and wider track – is launched in June. It’s a big success for the manufacturer, with 3003 cars made over three years.
The TB is visually similar to the TA but packs MG’s new XPAG engine. It’s praised for being more powerful and easier to tune than the MPJG unit and is a second quicker to 0-60mph.
Just 379 TBs are manufactured before Abingdon’s factory moves over to the war effort, but leaves the manufacturer well placed to launch its TC successor. Americans who had warmed to the T-types during the war fed back to MG that they’d like the car to be roomier, so in response the new car was a full three inches wider.
MG moves the Midget away from its pre-war origins with the TD – gone are the wire wheels, and in comes rack-andpinion steering and styling inspired by the Y-type saloon. The schedule of improvements continues on 1953’s TF, which incorporates the headlights into the bodywork for the first time.
The TF is replaced by the new MGA. The Midget name reappears six years later on a car based on the AustinHealey Sprite.