1959-71 TRIUMPH HERALD
HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL SMALL CAR ON A SEPARATE CHASSIS, FAMED FOR ITS TIGHT TURNING CIRCLE
After flirting with the fin on its Phase III Vanguard and ‘luxury’ Standard 10 variant, the Pennant, Standard Triumph embraced it fully with the 1959-on Herald and left them untouched until the end of production in 1971. It was a huge success and appeared in saloon, coupé, convertible, estate and van form.
The original 948cc engine was supplanted by a much more useable 1147cc unit in 1961, an uprated 12/50 joined the range in 1963 and (from 1967) buyers could opt for a 1296cc engine.
The frowning-fronted six-cylinder Triumph Vitesse of 1962 shared the Herald’s bodyshell… and fins, of course!