Classics take to the London stage
ASTON MARTIN V8 VANTAGE
‘This was actually the first Aston Martin V8 Vantage built,’ said Oselli’s David Evans. ‘It was built for Aston’s then-co-owner George Minden in 1977. It looks like a later example thanks to the Oscar India-style rear bodywork, but this was changed by the factory in 1988 at the behest of a later owner. Originally, all its bolt-on bits were in black plastic, contrasting with the blue bodywork.
‘Together with Peter Sprague, Alan Curtis and Peter Flather, Minden bailed out Aston Martin in the Seventies and was keen to demonstrate that they were developing the cars, especially as tuners like Highvale Garage were offering reliably faster versions of the V8. The suspension was altered to cope with the extra power, but the blanked-off bonnet scoop and grille were just a visual facelift for motor shows, not for aerodynamics. Even standard V8s take all their air from the slot beneath the front bumper.’
BENTLEY 3½-LITRE BY CORINTHIAN
This survivor from a lost era of British art-deco coachbuilding graced Frank Dale & Stepsons’ stand. Corinthian, based in Kilburn Lane, only made three of these three-position drophead coupé bodies and the other two were Lagondas. The car was built for Phyllis Robins, who commissioned its design but kept it for less than four months – September to December 1935 – before selling it to a Mr J James of Stockton on Tees, who kept it throughout World War Two. In 1959 it was sold to a family in Liverpool, who still own it today. It was in regular use from 1959-65, before being stored in a state of disrepair for 20 years. A full restoration began in 2011 and the car is for sale for the first time in nearly 60 years – yours for £325,000.