‘There were bodies everywhere – it was like a horror film’
Sue Mallion, 62, and husband David, 69, both retired, from Bury St Edmonds, were at the festival.
Sue says, “I’m still in shock. It’s horrific and it’s left me terrified. I jump at the slightest noise and I can’t sleep. Every time I close my eyes I can see people running and screaming and hear the gunfire. I don’t think we’ll ever get over it.
“This was our 15th trip to Vegas and the second time we had been to the music festival. It was our third day on the site and we were having a lovely time. On the Sunday night, we were sat facing the stage when I heard a popping sound over and over. A man next to me said it must be firecrackers. I thought it was part of the show.
“Then someone said it was gunfire and to get down. My heart was hammering as the shots rang out in bursts. First for a few seconds, then a pause, then it started again. It seemed like it would never stop. People were screaming. It was so frightening.
“When security staff opened up an emergency exit, we ran for our lives. There was blood and bodies everywhere. It was like a horror film. Eventually we got to a hotel and a man let us into his room. There were 20 of us crammed in, most of us were sobbing.
“A few hours later we were allowed to come out, but nowhere felt safe. I didn’t want to leave my room as I was terrified there would be another gunman, so we booked a flight home.
“What would possess someone to do this? It makes no sense at all. I want to shake President Donald Trump and tell him to change the US gun laws. If he’d witnessed what I’d seen, he would. David and I will be wearing our festival wristbands for the next 58 days out of respect for the victims. I’m just praying the death count doesn’t go up.”
respects Mourners pay their on Las Vegas Boulevard
Sue and David were at the festival