What can I do about faulty Chi­nese phone?

Computer Active (UK) - - Consumeractive -

Q On 15 De­cem­ber 2016 I or­dered an Ele­phone P9000 phone (pic­tured) for £188 on Ama­zon Prime. I’m hav­ing a prob­lem with this phone con­nect­ing to 4G and Blue­tooth, so I con­tacted Ama­zon. They put me in touch with the seller, who’s based in China. I asked for a re­place­ment but was re­fused.

Do I have to send it back to China for re­pair and face im­port du­ties if it comes back?

Roger Knight


No, Roger won’t have to pay im­port du­ties be­cause re­paired and re­placed prod­ucts are ex­empt from these. He also won’t have to pay VAT im­posed by HMRC. The seller should make it clear on the re­turn pack­ag­ing that the phone qual­i­fies for Out­ward Pro­cess­ing Re­lief (OPR). If the seller doesn’t, Roger should claim back thehe money on HMRC’S site by com­plet­ing form BOR286286 ( www.snipca.com/24504). ). You can get more in­for­ma­tion on re­claim­ing taxes and duty on the My In­ter­na­tional Shop­ping web­site: www.snipca.com//24505.

Since firstst email­ing us Roger go­tot back in touch to say that Ama­zon has re­funded him. He was in a goodd po­si­tion be­cause Ama­zon acts as the ‘ful­fill­ment agent’ for Ele­phone, which means it han­dles the com­pany’s cus­tomer ser­vice, in­clud­ing re­turns, re­funds and re­place­ments But his con­tract is still with Ele­phone, so at some point he may need to re­turn the phone to China.

Gen­er­ally, it’s never easy get­ting a re­fund, re­pair or re­place­ment from a seller based in an­other coun­try, par­tic­u­larly China, where you’ll find lots of cheap phones and tablets. You can’t rely on UK or EU laws, so if you en­counter prob­lems we’d ad­vise get­ting in touch with us for help.

We stand up for your le­gal rights

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.