Cosmopolitan (UK) - - Read -

● First, get your­self to a safe lo­ca­tion. ● Find some­one that you know and trust to sup­port you. If you’re trav­el­ling alone, get help from some­one at your ac­com­mo­da­tion. ● Seek im­me­di­ate medical as­sis­tance. Clin­ics and hos­pi­tals usu­ally have spe­cial kits to un­der­take test­ing. Ask about post-ex­po­sure pro­phy­laxis for HIV/AIDS (an­tiretro­vi­ral med­i­ca­tion to stop you be­com­ing in­fected). To file a po­lice re­port, the medical ev­i­dence is re­quired to be taken within 72 hours of the as­sault, be­fore wash­ing, chang­ing clothes or dis­card­ing any­thing that could be used as ev­i­dence. ● Con­tact the near­est Bri­tish em­bassy, high com­mis­sion or con­sulate for as­sis­tance. De­tails can be found at Gov.uk/ gov­ern­ment/world/ em­bassies ● If you need con­sular as­sis­tance, call the For­eign and Com­mon­wealth Of­fice (FCO) on (+44) 020 7008 1500 (save this number in your phone right now). ● You can re­quest that you are in­ter­viewed by a fe­male po­lice of­fi­cer if that is what you would pre­fer. If you do not wish to re­port the as­sault but want to be ex­am­ined by a doc­tor, Rape Cri­sis (see above) can pro­vide a list of lo­cal hos­pi­tals and English-speak­ing doc­tors. ● Con­sider con­tact­ing a sex­ual as­sault ser­vice or cri­sis line. Here in Bri­tain, you can call The Na­tional Rape Cri­sis Helpline for free on 0808 802 9999 (12-2.30pm and 7-9.30pm daily; and 3-5.30pm Mon­day-Fri­day). ● Re­mem­ber that it is never the vic­tim’s fault, un­der any cir­cum­stance.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.