Top tips for getting the most out of your woodburner:
1. Choose wood fuel with the right moisture content – logs should be up to 20%, while pellets and briquettes will typically be around 10%
2. If seasoning logs yourself buy a moisture meter to check the wood is dry enough to burn
3. Do not burn treated waste wood, i.e. old furniture or fence posts, as these treatments can emit harmful fumes
4. The most effective technique for building the fire is to make a small stacked structure of wood by making a hash tag out of the stacked kindling around a fire lighter with one single log on the top, bark side down
5. Chimneys should be swept at least twice a year when burning wood.