A house in a fine terrace by Robert Adam was converted from use as a bank to become the headquarters of the Georgian Group. On the charity’s 80th birthday,
John Martin Robinson considers its history
6, Fitzroy Square, London W1 The headquarters of the Georgian Group
The Georgian Group (GG) celebrates its 80th birthday this year. It was born in the context of the early-20th-century revival of interest in Georgian Britain and immediately established itself as a formidable voice of opposition to the ongoing destruction of this heritage (Country Life, March 26, 2014). Throughout February 2017, its headquarters in 6, Fitzroy Square, W1, will host an anniversary exhibition to demonstrate the quality of contemporary craftsmanship in the Classical tradition and the talents of young students and apprentices as well as the more established practices. The story of how the charity came to occupy and restore this building is remarkable.
When it was founded 80 years ago, in 1937, by Lord Derwent, Douglas Goldring and Robert Byron, the GG had no formal headquarters and its early meetings took place in the flat of a member, Baroness d’erlanger, in Piccadilly. After the Second World War, it had a small grace-and-favour office at 2, Chester Street on the Grosvenor estate in SW1, which is today occupied, in turn, by the