100 years ago in COUNTRY LIFE
March 17, 1917
IN the graveyard of Ripley Parish Church, some four miles north of Harrogate, is to be seen a ‘Weeping-cross’. It is a curious massive object carved out of stone, with recesses cut into the lower tier on which the penitents would kneel during their supplications, a somewhat forbidding ordeal during such weather as prevailed when the writer recently visited the church, when the recesses were filled with snow. Archaeologists state that this relic of early British Christianity dates undoubtedly from Roman occupation of our land.