This week: Ravilious
These three panels by Eric Ravilious, presumed lost, came to light when the dining hall of Merchant Taylors’ School, Hertfordshire, was refurbished last summer and a false ceiling removed. They respectively depict a marrow and other vegetables in one, wheat and bread in another, figs and berries in the third. The panels date from the construction of the school in 1931–3 and the style is unmistakable. Their authorship is confirmed by a brief reference in The Builder (May 5, 1933).
They were paid for by the architect, William G. Newton, who enlivened the buildings with artworks, including stained glass by Francis Spear and sculpture by Alan Durst. The hall is almost entirely functional, with a high roof of curved concrete beams. James Bettley