Historic England has marked the 50th anniversary of the sexual offences Act (1967), which partially decriminalised homosexuality, by announcing two new grade ii listings. the Cabin, a former fisherman’s store perched on the cliffs at Bideford Bay in devon, was the studio and retreat of the artists Judith Ackland and Mary stella Edwards from 1924. the pair met and fell in love in London as art students and, when Ackland died in 1971, her devastated partner never returned to the stone cabin. now in the hands of the national trust, it remains almost exactly as the artists left it. Also in devon, the Chapel of st Anne, in saunton, has been listed both for its architectural merits as a 19th-century chapel and its association with the Arts-andcrafts artist Mary Lowndes, who designed one of its stained-glass windows in 1906. Lowndes, a creator of suffragist posters, postcards and banners, lead an entrepreneurial life in London, where she lived with partner and fellow suffragette Barbara Forbes.
As part of Historic England’s Pride of Place research project into the untold stories of Lesbian gay transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) heritage, it has also announced the relisting of 14 other sites, including reading gaol, immortalised by oscar Wilde, and the Kensal green Cemetery grave of James Barry, a Victorian military surgeon who, on his death, was discovered to be female. Jack Watkins
A window in a Devon chapel by Suffragette Mary Lowndes