His­tory

Cycling Weekly - - Ride With -

Go­dric CC was born be­hind the steamed win­dows of Bun­gay’s Mar­ket Tea Rooms in Fe­bru­ary 1953. The meet­ing of lo­cal cy­clists had been called by Ge­orge and Daphne King, en­thu­si­as­tic rid­ers who had moved to the Suf­folk town from Cater­ham in Sur­rey.

Though 30 lo­cals were present at that in­au­gu­ral meet­ing, the mem­ber­ship of the club stood at 18 when they first met for the club run at the Old But­ter Cross, the same place they meet to this day.

Named after the owner of the land the town’s cas­tle was built on, Go­dric be­lieve they are the only British cy­cling club whose name con­nects them to Saxon Eng­land.

The de­sire for com­pe­ti­tion flowed through the veins of the mainly young mem­ber­ship, and the club’s first race was a 10-mile time trial staged on the Bun­gay straight, to­wards the nearby town of Halesworth. The only com­peti­tor with pre­vi­ous rac­ing ex­pe­ri­ence, Peter Roe, won, but it was Barry Minns who be­gan his il­lus­tri­ous ca­reer soon after. Still a mem­ber and now ap­proach­ing his 80th birth­day, Minns won the 25 and 50 which soon fol­lowed, and helped build the club’s rich time tri­alling base which sur­vives to this day.

The club has ex­panded rapidly in re­cent years, in­creas­ing from fewer than 50 just five years ago, to 140 now, and while time tri­alling re­mains im­por­tant, mem­bers take part in all types of road cy­cling. Per­haps re­flect­ing Daphne King as one of the found­ing mem­bers, there are nearly 30 women among the mem­bers.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.