Cynon Valley - - SPORT -

THE win over Wil­land Rovers saw Merthyr Town earn a trip to Ha­vant and Water­looville on Satur­day, September 16 when the draw for the sec­ond qual­i­fy­ing round of the FA Cup was made on Mon­day.

It won’t be an easy task for the Mar­tyrs as the Hamp­shire out­fit are a level above them – in the Va­narama Na­tional League South al­though the teams have met in the past.

Ha­vant, who play at Westleigh Park, had a con­vinc­ing 4-1 league win at We­ston-su­per-Mare on Satur­day, al­though the lat­ter are strug­gling in bot­tom but one spot.

Ha­vant were 2-0 up after 14 min­utes. Merthyr will have to be on top form against Ha­vant who are fourth in the ta­ble with five wins, two draws and one de­feat, scor­ing 14 goals and let­ting in five.

Gavin Wil­liams’ Merthyr side could re­ally do with a money-spin­ning cup run to help boost their cash sit­u­a­tion. But they would prob­a­bly have hoped for a home tie. Nev­er­the­less, the squad will be ea­ger to show their met­tle against a club higher in the pyra­mid.

Jar­rad Wright, Merthyr cen­tral de­fender, said :“Ev­ery­body at our club wants a good cup run.

“We are keen to test our­selves and see how far we can go in the com­pe­ti­tion. The play­ers talk about that in our dress­ing room.

“We are still un­beaten and that’s a good thing, but we are dis­ap­pointed we don’t have more wins. We could have won all five of the league matches we’ve played so far.”

Ha­vant and Water­looville had a his­toric FA Cup run in 2007-08 beat­ing York City, Notts County and Swansea City be­fore los­ing at An­field to Liver­pool in the fourth round.

On Satur­day Merthyr are home in the Evo-Stik South Premier to Bish­ops Stort­ford (3pm), the Her­tord­shire side hav­ing ex­ited the FA Cup at the week­end, los­ing 1-0 at Pot­ters Bar.

Ge­orge Casey made some good runs down the right for the vis­i­tors and Dar­ren Fox­ley, ex-Cam­bridge City, went close on times but they were dis­ap­pointed to go out at this hur­dle for the fourth suc­ces­sive year and to a team who play at a lower level.

Stort­ford are third from bot­tom with one point from five games, hav­ing scored six goals and con­ceded 10. Merthyr will look to ex­end­ing their un­beaten run.

David Pit­tham, one of three re­cently ap­pointed new board mem­bers, has had to re­sign due to work com­mit­ments. He has been thanked for his con­tri­bu­tion.

MERTHYR TOWN ......... 6 WIL­LAND ROVERS ....... 1

FOR the sec­ond time this sea­son, the Mar­tyrs hit a side for six.

On Satur­day, be­fore a gate smaller than usual with some fans mak­ing their way to Cardiff for Wales v Aus­tria, Merthyr turned on some fine pass­ing foot­ball even though they be­gan the game with five changes from the team which drew at Here­ford on the Bank Hol­i­day Mon­day.

On-loan Mo Touray (New­port) and Kerry Mor­gan both grabbed a brace, sup­ple­mented by goals from Kyle Pat­ten and Jaye Bowen.

With some ex­cep­tions, the Ex­eter-based side was fairly young. They played some good fooball at the start but were worn down and in the sec­ond half their op­po­nents were queu­ing up to score.

The Devon men be­gan with con­fi­dence and Glenn Gould headed wide from a cross from the right. Cap­tain Brett Wor­bey was lively and his side passed well to set up good moves.

Then Mo Touray, on loan to Merthyr from New­port County, showed skill to set up Jaye Bowen. He curled in a su­perb goal to beat keeper Mike Searle who pulled off some good saves later. He did re­ally well to deny a fierce ef­fort from Cameron Pring, on loan from Bris­tol City.

On 39 min­utes Kyle Pat­ten got on the end of a cross from the left to head goal num­ber two.

Searle kept the score down, stop­ping shots from Bowen and Kyle Copp be­fore the break.

The sec­ond pe­riod again was largely Merthyr with Stu­art Fleet­wood and Touray com­bin­ing well to pres­surise the away de­fence. After 53 min­utes it was 3-0 as Touray skil­fully ne­go­ti­ated his way to goal, net­ting from a Bowen cen­tre. Bowen, son of for­mer Welsh in­ter­na­tional Ja­son, was with Cin­der­ford on loan for much of last sea­son. This cam­paign, he is show­ing a new zest for the game and has im­pressed so far. He was pre­vi­ously with Cardiff City.

Wil­land pulled a goal back in the 68th minute, sub­sti­tute Luke Mor­ti­more go­ing through and net­ting as keeper Oliver Davies came out.

Touray made it 4-1 on 78 min­utes as Merthyr be­gan to run riot and send­ing in shots from all an­gles. Kerry Mor­gan came on as one of the sub­sti­tutes used by boss Gavin Wil­liams. Mor­gan soon got on the score­line, pick­ing up on a ball from Touray, al­ready a favourite with the fans, on 86 min­utes.

Three min­utes later an­other re­place­ment, Corey Jenk­ins, sent over a pre­ci­sion cross and Mor­gan met it su­perbly to head in from just more than 10 yards. Mor­gan al­most made it a hat-trick but his late ef­fort was cleared off the line.


Mo Touray adds an­other to make it 4-1 for Merthyr

Jaye Bowen opens the scor­ing

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.