Stu­dents need to be aware of li­cence laws

Cynon Valley - - YOUR VIEWS -

TV Li­cens­ing is keen to make sure par­ents of stu­dents from Wales head­ing to uni­ver­sity are aware of the laws sur­round­ing a TV li­cence.

Our re­search has shown that three-in-five par­ents and guardians dis­cuss the TV li­cence with their chil­dren.

How­ever, in most cases, stu­dents won’t be cov­ered by their par­ents’ li­cence so may need to buy their own when they go to uni­ver­sity.

A TV li­cence is needed for watch­ing and record­ing live tele­vi­sion, and since Septem­ber 2016, watch­ing or down­load­ing BBC pro­grammes on iPlayer.

This ap­plies whether watch­ing on a TV set, lap­top, mo­bile or any other equip­ment.

A TV li­cence is valid for a whole year, so stu­dents should also be aware that, if they pur­chase a li­cence in Oc­to­ber, they can ap­ply for a re­fund of £48.50 when the aca­demic year has fin­ished and they are no longer liv­ing in stu­dent ac­com­mo­da­tion but have re­turned to a li­cenced ad­dress. Many could end up sav­ing some much needed cash.

More in­for­ma­tion can be found at tvli­cens­­dentinfo or by speak­ing to an ad­viser over the phone on 0300 790 6113. Richard Chap­man, TV Li­cens­ing South West and Wales


Re­mem­ber, you even need a li­cence to watch ma­te­rial on the BBC iPlayer app

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.