Cynon Valley - - SPORT08 -

TYLORSTOWN ............ 27 YNYSOWEN ................. 23

TYLORSTOWN gained a bonus-point vic­tory over the Merthyr side and go into the Christ­mas pe­riod sec­ond in the league.

This was Tylorstown’s first game in seven weeks and though Tylorstown tri­umphed, they squan­dered many op­por­tu­ni­ties to put the game out of sight.

Credit must be given to the vis­i­tors who took their few chances well and de­fended ad­mirably for the full 80 min­utes.

Tylorstown were su­pe­rior in all de­part­ments and much of the game was played in the op­po­si­tion half of the field.

In the first five min­utes Tylorstown scored in the cor­ner fol­low­ing a good line out, No 8 Dai Hef­ford touch­ing down. Ynysowen broke away and scored in the cor­ner and kicked a cou­ple of penal­ties. Kieran Richards, the home scrum half, or­ches­trated pro­ceed­ings well and made in­roads with a num­ber of breaks.

Tylorstown’s sec­ond try was su­perb.

Richards ran blind from a scrum on the home side’s 10 me­tre line and the ball was passed quickly through the hands. Jamie Davies on the wing made good yardage and showed strength in the tackle to keep the ball alive.

Tylorstown’s pack caught up with play and the han­dling was crisp in con­tact.

Prop Ashley Thomas de­liv­ered the scor­ing pass to sec­ond row Lukke Rees who dum­mied and scored un­der the posts for out­side half Chris Har­ris to con­vert.

The sec­ond half was dom­i­nated again by Tylorstown but the home side were tac­ti­cally naïve and tried to spread the ball wide rather than kick for ter­ri­tory and blast through the vis­i­tors close to the con­tact area.

With Ynysowen not com­mit­ting play­ers to the break­down, Tylorstown’s at­tack be­came lat­eral.

Time and time again Ynysowen tack­led well and Tylorstown be­came frus­trated and tried to force passes which re­sulted in er­rors. Twice the vis­i­tors came into the Tylorstown half and scored through lapses in con­cen­tra­tion from the Tylorstown at­tack­ers.

In­cred­i­bly Tylorstown were los­ing with 20 min­utes re­main­ing. Har­ris kicked a penalty and com­mon sense re­turned to pro­ceed­ings with Tylorstown keep­ing it tight. From a li­ne­out in­side the vis­i­tors’ 22, Tylorstown ex­e­cuted a ter­rific driv­ing li­ne­out for flanker James Groves to touch down. Still in ar­rears Tylorstown con­verted the pres­sure into points with im­pres­sive flanker Adam Phillips touch­ing down with five min­utes to go to gain the bonus point and clinch vic­tory.

Phillips, a for­mer youth cap­tain, has re­turned to Tylorstown along with a num­ber of qual­ity play­ers who have left lo­cal clubs. With num­bers high in train­ing, play­ers can no longer guar­an­tee a start­ing place with com­pe­ti­tion for many po­si­tions. There ap­pears to be mo­men­tum gath­er­ing for Tylorstown to be a force to be reck­oned with in the sec­ond half of the sea­son and all con­nected with the club look for­ward to the next game away to neigh­bours Wattstown on De­cem­ber 30.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.