‘Too lit­tle, too late’ from Bed­was in home de­feat PRE­MIER­SHIP

Cynon Valley - - RUGBY UNION -

BED­WAS ....................... 17 CAR­MARTHEN QUINS 31

CAR­MARTHEN Quins bounced back from their home de­feat by Cardiff with a bonus-point vic­tory over an un­der-strength Bed­was side.

That de­feat by Cardiff was their first on home soil this sea­son, but the West Walians re­sponded in the best pos­si­ble way at Bridge Field.

Dy­lan Mor­gans’ firsthalf brace along with tries from Lee Tay­lor and Aron Hem­mings and 11 points from the boot of Aled Thomas se­cured the win.

Quins as­sis­tant coach Craig Evans said: “The boys re­acted well to the Cardiff de­feat where didn’t put in the best of per­for­mances.

“We worked hard on our per­for­mance and chal­lenged the boys in train­ing lead­ing into this game and it came to fruition.

“It was good to get the bonus point, es­pe­cially at Bed­was where it’s al­ways tough to visit.”

Tay­lor forced his way over for the open­ing try on 12 min­utes with Thomas con­vert­ing, but Bed­was hit back im­me­di­ately when St­ef­fan Jones kicked a penalty af­ter Quins were off­side at a ruck. An out­stand­ing pass­ing move on 18 min­utes saw Quins notch up their sec­ond try as winger Mor­gans weaved his way through to score un­der the sticks with Thomas con­vert­ing.

Just be­fore the break, Mor­gans went over for his sec­ond and Quins’ third score, which Thomas im­proved to make it 21-3 at the turnaround.

Bed­was were first on the board in the sec­ond half when skip­per Alun Rees set up Adam Wil­liams to score in the cor­ner. Jones con­verted. It was a re­verse sit­u­a­tion on 53 min­utes when Wil­liams fed Rees for Bed­was’ sec­ond try.

Jones con­verted well and they were just four points down.

But Quins in­creased their lead af­ter Hem­mings tapped a penalty to run home for the bonus-point try.

Thomas con­verted to bring the score to 28-17 be­fore adding a penalty with four min­utes to go.

Evans added: “We could have clinched the bonus point be­fore half-time as we had about four or five chances to do that, but equally we were pleased to have al­ready scored three tries be­fore the break.”

Mean­while, Bed­was head coach Ian Gard­ner said: “Our first-half per­for­mance wasn’t good enough.

“Car­marthen were ac­cu­rate, played some good rugby and de­served to be 21-3 up at half-time.

“We had a bit of a come­back but I think it was too lit­tle too late.

“Then the quick-tap penalty where they scored the try was the turn­ing point of the game.

“It was quick think­ing by them to score.”


Aron Hem­mings of Car­marthen Quins

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.