Easter re­union for Mar­tyrs old and new

Cynon Valley - - SPORT -

be aim­ing to boost his goals tally, al­ready be­ing in the top six in the league.

He has starred for The Mar­tyrs ever since join­ing them af­ter suc­cess­ful spells at a lower level with Pon­typridd Town and Cw­ma­man. And his re­cent per­for­mances have been noted.

With Merthyr sort­ing out their debts plight as well as plan­ning ahead for next sea­son, there have been a num­ber of fundrais­ing ac­tiv­i­ties run by the fans. The Ro­mans bar was open last Thurs­day for sup­port­ers to watch Wales play China on the big screen, and also on Mon­day when Wales met Uruguay in the China Cup Fi­nal.

With Merthyr Town be­ing a fan-owned club, they have a role to play in the com­mu­nity. There was also an Easter party for chil­dren at the club on Sun­day.


De­spite pres­sure from Merthyr late in both halves, they went down to a de­feat on Satur­day in Bed­ford­shire.

Nathan Hicks, who made 86 ap­pear­ances for Ket­ter­ing Town, got both goals for Big­gleswade who took their points tally to 46 points from 36 matches, a point be­hind Merthyr in 16th place but the lat­ter have played three more games.

Merthyr young ‘keeper Ed He­wit­son was called on early to make a smart save. But he was beaten on eight min­utes with a shot from dis­tance by Hicks as the ‘keeper was caught by sur­prise.

He­wit­son pushed a header wide from Rob­bie Parker be­fore The Mar­tyrs had their first op­por­tu­nity, Jar­rad Wright head­ing wide from Adam Davies.

Merthyr man­ager Gavin Wil­liams saw his side en­joy a good spell of pres­sure and Big­gleswade keeper Liam Gooch saved from Wright af­ter a Morgan throw-in.

Then there was a stop from Morgan fol­low­ing a Ian Tray­lor cross.

Owain Jones, the for­mer Swansea City for­ward, earned a Merthyr cor­ner but it was cleared. Big­gleswade found the net but the at­tempt was ruled off­side.

The home team had started well but then at the other end,Matthew Har­ris had a shot blocked for a cor­ner and Ash­ley Evans sent an ef­fort wide af­ter the kick.

Corey Jenk­ins, who turned down an of­fer to join a Welsh League club to stay at Merthyr, equalised from Kerry Morgan’s cor­ner. af­ter 31 min­utes,the header find­ing the net af­ter the home side failed to clear.

Merthyr were well on top when the in­ter­val whis­tle blew af­ter Gooch had been brought into ac­tion sev­eral times.

Early af­ter the break, Morgan was re­placed by Ryan Prosser.But a closerange shot from Hicks saw the home team re­store their lead. On the hour. Hicks fired home from a pass by Daniel. It came af­ter He­wit­son had saved from Gavin Hoye and Big­gleswade had earned sev­eral cor­ners in a short time.

Tray­lor sent in a shot from 20 yards but it flew wide of the post. Tray­lor pushed a good ball through for Prosser but his ef­fort was saved.

With time run­ning out, Lee Price came on for Jenk­ins. Merthyr piled on pres­sure in bid to level but the home side held firm.


Mar­tyrs’ Ian Tray­lor will be look­ing for­ward to the Easter fix­tures

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.