Dad wants daughter’s death to be a lesson to drug users
A FATHER wants his daughter’s death to be used as a “lesson to young mothers”, an inquest has heard.
Hannah Dee Rees, 27, of Treorchy, died on December 11 after organ failure following long-term drug abuse.
Cardiff Coroner’s Court heard that Ms Rees, of Conway Road, was in her living-room with her young daughter when her fiance found her sleeping and difficult to wake.
An ambulance was called and the mother of one was taken to the Royal Glamorgan Hospital, where she later died.
During the inquest coroner Sarah Richards said Ms Rees had enjoyed school as a child and been part of an action group against illegal drugs.
But after being sexually assaulted as a young girl, her behaviour started to “change”.
Ms Richards said: “[Hannah] became subject to a sexual assault.
“She reported this to her mother and reported to the police and it went to court. That was an enormously brave thing for her to do for a girl that age – she was 11 at the time.
“It did take its toll on her and after that her behaviour started to change.”
The court heard that as a teenager Ms Rees moved from a YMCA building in Mountain Ash to a flat in Pontypridd where her partner committed suicide.
Ms Richards said: “She starting taking hard drugs at this point, she was taking heroin.
“Hannah overdosed in 2008 and was admitted to Royal Glamorgan Hospital.”
During the inquest Ms Rees’ father, Alun Rees, said his daughter had stopped taking drugs after the birth of her daughter but started again without telling her family.
He said: “When we saw her she looked a million dollars.
“When we went there the house was spotless. I feel so let down by her.”
In a statement read in court, Ms Rees’ fiance Martin Bradley said his partner’s health started to worsen after she was diagnosed with sciatica in 2017.
He said: “On December 11 I went to the doctors to pick up tablets. When I got back Hannah was sleeping... she couldn’t keep her head up.
“Hannah had been bad for two or three months but the doctors told her it was sciatica.
“Hannah was stubborn and said she didn’t want to go to hospital.”
Recording a conclusion of drug-related death, Ms Richards heard that Ms Rees died as a result of multi-organ failure and sepsis from tricuspid valve endocarditis “usually related to intravenous drug use”.
Traces of paracetamol, dihydrocodeine, diazepam and morphine were found in Ms Rees’ blood after her death.
Paying tribute after the inquest, Mr Rees said his daughter was a “loving mother and unfortunately she went down the wrong path.
“Our family are gutted but hopefully this is a lesson to young mothers out there.”