Harry’s anger at tabloid ‘lies’
PRINCE Harry attacked the press last night and revealed Meghan is suing a paper for publishing a letter she wrote to her father.
The Duke of Sussex said The Mail on Sunday’s publication of the letter – in which his wife said her father Thomas Markle had broken her heart – was part of a campaign of vilification.
Harry, 35, said: “As a couple we believe in media freedom and truthful reporting.We regard it as a cornerstone of democracy and in the current state of the world – on every level – we have never needed responsible media more. Unfortunately, my wife has
become one of the latest victims of a British tabloid press that wages campaigns against individuals with no thought to the consequences – a ruthless campaign that has escalated over the past year, throughout her pregnancy and while raising our newborn son.
“There is a human cost to this relentless propaganda, specifically when it is false and malicious, and although we have continued to put on a brave face I cannot begin to describe how painful it has been.” Harry invoked his late mother Princess Diana’s problems with the media.
“There comes a point when the only thing to do is stand up to this behaviour, because it destroys people and destroys lives,” he said.
“Though this action may not be the safe one, it is the right one. My deepest fear is history repeating itself.
“I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated as a real person. I lost my mother and I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces.”
He added: “The positive coverage of the past week from the same publications exposes the double standards of this press pack that has vilified her almost daily for nine months.
“They have been able to create lie after lie at her expense simply because she has not been visible while on maternity leave.
“She is the same woman she was a year ago on our wedding day, just as she is the same woman you’ve seen on this Africa tour.”
Meghan, 38, is suing The Mail on Sunday and its parent company Associated Newspapers.The case is being privately funded by the duke and duchess.
HARRY and Meghan were reunited yesterday after a week apart on their Africa tour – with the Prince’s wife admitting: “I miss him so much.”
The Duchess of Sussex said while she had enjoyed a “really powerful” first time in South Africa, she could not wait to see her husband.
Speaking at an event where she once again highlighted the issue of violence against women and girls in the country, Meghan said: “Being able to be in Africa and South Africa, has been really powerful.
“Harry has continued on in a couple of other countries.
“We are reuniting today, which I can’t wait for. I miss him so much!
“But I think, for us, it has been a really special trip, because you get to see when you’re focussing on the causes that are really important to us. You can see that the impact is good and it feels meaningful.”
Meghan and Harry have used their royal tour to speak about gender-based violence, access to education, the environment and conservation.
The Duke of Sussex has taken trips to Botswana, Angola and Malawi over the past week, without his wife and new son Archie.
The four-month-old baby is too young to fly on the planes used to get around the continent.
Asked how the baby was finding his first tour, Meghan said: “We’re doing well. They have been very kind to me, because everything is based around Archie’s feed times.
“So it’s a full plate, but we’re making it work. It’s worth it.”
Earlier in the day, Meghan visited Johannesburg University to meet students as part of her role as patron with the Association of Commonwealth Universities, before moving to a local school to tackle the troubling issue of gender-based violence.
The former actress said the country was at a “crisis state”. During a meeting at Action Aid, which campaigns for social justice, Meghan said more needed to be done to educate men and boys on the subject.
She said: “It is at a crisis state here and the age range that it is happening at is really staggering.”
Meanwhile, on his last day in Malawi, Harry told a group of young people to “hold on to your dreams” as he visited a health clinic in a remote village.
The Duke sat down with the teenagers for a private chat in the rural heartland of the country, after learning about the work of medical staff and other health workers at the centre.
He also urged them to show kindness, empathy and to work together.
On the last day, Harry and Meghan will visit a Johannesburg township before meeting Graca Machel, the widow of late South African president Nelson Mandela.
Harry at the Mauwa Health Centre in Blantyre, Malawi, above, as Meghan greets fans at Action Aid in Cape Town yesterday, right
Classy... Olivia Colman. Left, Hugh Grant with wife Anna