Re­vealed: Sim­ple plans for a bomb to wreak car­nage are still on­line

Daily Mail - - Terror On The Tube - By Vanessa Allen, Ja­son Groves and Is­abella Fish

TER­ROR man­u­als de­tail­ing how to build a ‘fairy light’ bomb were eas­ily avail­able via Google last night.

The vile ‘ how to’ guides were read­ily ac­ces­si­ble de­spite re­peated calls for the in­ter­net gi­ant to re­move links to the sites.

Fa­nat­ics set out step-by-step guides of how to build a bomb sim­i­lar to the de­vice used on the Tube yes­ter­day, us­ing fairy lights as a crude det­o­na­tor.

Theresa May – who said ‘enough is enough’ af­ter the Lon­don Bridge atroc­ity – will put fresh pres­sure on Google, Face­book and Mi­crosoft next week, when she and French Pres­i­dent Em­manuel Macron host an anti- ex­trem­ism summit with the in­ter­net giants in New York.

Daily Mail jour­nal­ists were able to find the man­u­als on­line within sec­onds – de­spite re­peated warn­ings that they have been used to com­mit ter­ror out­rages, and counter-ter­ror­ism chiefs say­ing it is ‘crit­i­cal’ that would-be ter­ror­ists are blocked from ac­cess­ing them.

The man­u­als de­tailed how to use ba­sic house­hold items to make ‘an ef­fec­tive bomb that causes dam­age to the en­emy’ and said fol­low­ers could use the de­vices to ‘kill tens of peo­ple’. Last night, Tory MP Jacob Rees-Mogg called for Google to be held crim­i­nally li­able.

He said: ‘Google has amaz­ing soft­ware that makes it pos­si­ble to search for any­thing. This has made the com­pany bil­lions of pounds; it is shame­ful that it will not use its tech­nol­ogy to root out sites that help evil-do­ers. I would like to see the com­pany made crim­i­nally li­able for the re­sult of any ter­ror­ist act that it can be shown to have abet­ted. It must do more to help pre­vent ter­ror.’

Gra­ham Foulkes, whose 22-year- old son David was killed in the July 7 Tube bomb­ings in 2005, also called on Google to do more to tackle such ma­te­rial.

‘Google has a so­cial and cor­po­rate re­spon­si­bil­ity to work to block th­ese kind of man­u­als,’ he said. ‘In the last two years we have seen an ac­cel­er­a­tion of at­tacks, but there has not been an ac­cel­er­a­tion in the strat­egy to pre­vent them.

‘Th­ese sites need to be re­moved but the Gov­ern­ment has backed down from tak­ing ac­tion. It has backed down on firms like Google and it has backed down in the face of civil lib­erty cam­paign­ers who said po­lice should not have the power to watch th­ese sites.’

In the hours af­ter the Tube at­tack in Par­sons Green, West Lon­don, the Mail used Google searches to find ter­ror guides to build­ing bombs. One guide – pub­lished in 2010 and still avail­able on­line – was au­thored by a fa­natic call­ing them­selves the ‘Al Qaeda chef’. The au­thor wrote: ‘We are con­vey­ing to you our mil­i­tary train­ing right into your kitchen to re­lieve you of the dif­fi­culty of trav­el­ling to us.

‘All you have to do is enter your kitchen and make an ex­plo­sive de­vice that would dam­age the en­emy if you put your trust in Al­lah and then use this ex­plo­sive de­vice prop­erly.’ The site boasted that all the bomb co­mand po­nents were read­ily avail­able andd couldld bbe bought with­outith t arous­ing sus­pi­cion.

Its step-by- step in­struc­tions de­tailed how to use a string of fairy lights as a det­o­na­tor and hhow to rigi an alarm clock as a timer. Pho­to­graphs of the Par­sons Green de­vice ap­pear to show fairy lights pro­trud­ing from the bomb it is un­der­stood to have been equipped with a timer. In an­other guide, pub­lished last year, an anony­mous au­thor of­fered ad­vice on how to cam­ou­flage a bomb so it did not arouse sus­pi­cion, by plac­ing it in­side a con­tainer or bag. The Par­sons Green de­vice was hid­den in a Lidl car­rier bag.

The ar­ti­cle ad­vised would-be ter­ror­ists to tar­get ‘large crowds’ to in­flict max­i­mum dam­age and to strike at ‘the most crowded time of the day’. Yes­ter­day’s at­tack tar­geted com­muters in the morn­ing rush-hour.

Down­ing Street has re­peat­edly called for in­ter­net firms to do more to re­move ex­trem­ist ma­te­rial.

In May, a for­mer night­club door­man was found to have built an ex­plo­sive de­vice in his bed­room af­ter re­search­ing tech­niques on­line. Is­lamic State sup­porter Zahid Hussain, 29, from Birm­ing­ham, tried to make a se­ries of de­vices, in­clud­ing a nail bomb, us­ing Christ­mas tree lights and re­searched rail­way lines as po­ten­tial tar­gets.

Manch­ester sui­cide bomber Sal­man Abedi re­port­edly learnt how to con­struct his bomb via YouTube videos.

Si­mon Kemp­ton, coun­tert­er­ror­ism lead for the Po­lice Fed­er­a­tion of Eng­land and Wales, said: ‘The re­spon­si­bil­ity is on the in­ter­net providers, the hosts, to take down this ma­te­rial if it is clearly a threat to pub­lic safety. This type of thing should not be search­able.

‘This is crit­i­cal for the pre­ven­tion of ter­ror­ism.’

Down­ing Street last night said it was ‘ plainly not ac­cept­able’ if a sev­enyearold ter­ror man­ual was still read­ily avail­able on­line. But sources in­sisted Mrs May and Home Sec­re­tary Am­ber Rudd were putting in­tense pres­sure on the tech­nol­ogy firms to take the is­sue se­ri­ously.

‘We have re­peat­edly told them they have got to do bet­ter,’ a source said. ‘There is more to do and we ex­pect them to do it.

‘We are work­ing hard with them and they are fac­ing sig­nif­i­cant pres­sure to take things down quicker, but there is more to do.’

A Google spokesman said last night: ‘We re­move links to il­le­gal con­tent from our search re­sults as soon as we’re no­ti­fied of them.

‘We are com­mit­ted to work­ing in part­ner­ship with gov­ern­ments to tackle th­ese chal­leng­ing and com­plex prob­lems.’

‘It is shame­ful they won’t use their tech­nol­ogy’ ‘They have got to do bet­ter’

Home made de­vice:e: A pas­sen­ger points to yes­ter­day’s Par­sons Green bomb, whichh is still smoul­der­ing

Right: Ter­ror pro­pa­ganda avail­able on­line last night

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.