Killer conkers alert for pooches

Daily Star Sunday - - FRONT PAGE -

DOG own­ers have been warned to avoid one of the UK’s most deadly an­i­mal killers – conkers.

The shiny brown horse ch­est­nut tree seeds con­tain tox­ins that cause dogs to vomit, col­lapse and pos­si­bly suf­fer fa­tal res­pi­ra­tory paral­y­sis. They can also cause se­vere and po­ten­tially lethal block­ages in an an­i­mal’s di­ges­tive sys­tem.

Pets char­ity Blue Cross has warned of the threat af­ter treat­ing a num­ber of sick dogs which fell ill from eat­ing conkers.

It is feared chil­dren des­per­ate to find and play with conkers in the tra­di­tional au­tumn game may un­wit­tingly poi­son their fam­ily pets by let­ting pooches play with them.

Blue Cross says any­one who fears their dog may have eaten conkers should con­tact a vet im­me­di­ately.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.