WHO DARES STINGS
Bee terror for SAS hero Bear Grylls
BEAR Grylls was saved from a lifethreatening allergic reaction after being stung by a bee during filming for the SAS hardman’s latest survival TV series.
BEAR Grylls was saved by medics after being KO’d by a bee sting.
It was feared the former special forces tough guy had gone into a potentially deadly anaphylactic shock while filming his latest survival series, Treasure Island.
One of the show’s contenders, brain surgeon Mano Shanmuganathan, said he was shocked to see the survival expert – who has an allergy to bee stings – reacting so badly.
Mano, 42, from Belfast, said: “I think that Bear is an impressive guy. He understands his tasks at hand and knows what he has to achieve.
“The irony of Bear the survivalist being stung, having the potential of an allergic reaction, and needing to be treated with an EpiPen, was a bizarre moment. That was crazy!”
Bear was transporting a new batch of adventure junkies by boat to a remote island in the Pacific on the first day of filming for the Channel 4 series when the insect attacked.
Bosses were sent into a spin as he tried to carry on filming, but took a frightening turn for the worse.
Medics quickly realised the show’s host needed help and it was feared Bear could suffer a life-threatening allergic reaction.
They raced to him with an EpiPen injector containing medicine which counteracts the venom.
The series, which kicks off next month, follows on from The Island with Bear Grylls but has a new twist.
Contestants don’t just have to survive on a remote island for a month – there is also cash up for grabs.
During their stay bosses dropped £100,000 on to the island and whoever found it could keep it or share it with the others.
A show insider said: “Viewers will get to see just how greedy people become when they know that a huge amount of money is there for the taking. Are they willing to risk their own survival in order to take home a huge stash of cash?”
VICTIM: Bear Grylls hosting his new show
PERIL: Bee attacked