Making a meal of vegan cookery
It was Vegan Week on Bake Off, so can you rise to the challenge? Here’s some recipe ideas
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4) 250g firm tofu, drained; 2tbsp olive oil, for greasing and drizzling; 15g cornflakes, crushed; 2tsp vegan smoky barbecue Fajita seasoning mix; 560g canned whole potatoes, drained and sliced; 1tsp garlic granules, as desired; 1tsp black pepper; handful of fresh parsley, chopped; handful of fresh chives, snipped; 290g canned sliced mushrooms, drained; handful fresh thyme or ½tsp dried thyme; ½tsp smoked paprika; 2 canned whole tomatoes; 1 ripe avocado, sliced; 415g canned baked beans
1. Wrap the tofu in three sheets of kitchen paper and place plates on top to squeeze out water.
2. Lightly grease a baking tray. Crush the cornflakes in your hand and mix with Fajita seasoning.
3. Cut the tofu into chunks and coat with the cornflake crumbs. Place on the tray, drizzle with oil and grill under high heat for three to four minutes each side.
4. Meanwhile, slice the potatoes and flavour with black pepper, garlic granules, fresh parsley and chives. Place on the tray and grill on one side till crisp (about 5 minutes).
5. Toss the mushrooms in thyme and smoked paprika, and add to the tray with the drained whole tomatoes. Serve with peppered sliced avocado and baked beans.
■ Recipe from lovecannedfood.com