Care worker’s third medication error
A worker at an Annan care home mistakenly gave a resident double the dose of medication they needed.
The incident that took place last November is the third time Wilma Grieve had made a medication error.
The Scottish Social Services Council has banned Grieve from administering any more medication on her own until she’s undertaken training and found that her fitness to practise is impaired.
The mistake was made while Grieve was employed as a team leader by Mead Medical Services Limited, at Lydiafield Care Home.
She admitted that on a number of occasions, she administered 10 mls of Amoxicillin to a resident when it should just have been five mls.
The SSSC said it was a failure in her duty of care, and that she placed the resident at risk of harm.
Grieve had been warned by the SSSC twice before over medication errors.
However the panel decided the mistake wasn’t intentional, but caused by“carelessness for failing to read the medication administration record sheet properly”.
A report into the incident added that it was more serious because Grieve was a team leader at the time and responsible for supervising junior members of staff and being a role model in terms of good practice.