Sharks put out dragons’ fire

Dumfries & Galloway Standard - - READER TRAVEL -

Sol­way Sharks re­turned to win­ning ways on Satur­day evening at the Shark Tank with a com­pre­hen­sive 14-0 vic­tory over an un­der­strength Dee­side Dragons side which had lost their head coach the pre­vi­ous Mon­day.

From the out­set it was clear that the Dragons had come to de­fend with dam­age lim­i­ta­tion fore­most in their mind.

With that said, it took an ex­tended five on three pow­er­play for the Sharks to open the scor­ing through Ross Mur­ray and with the orig­i­nal penalty be­ing a two plus two mi­nor the Sharks re­tained a two man ad­van­tage. Twenty sec­onds later Sol­way dou­bled their ad­van­tage when Dun­can Speirs net­ted his first goal back in Sharks colours.

After the first in­ter­val the Sharks con­tin­ued their on­slaught on the visi­tors goal and per­haps the only sur­prise was that they only ran in a fur­ther three goals cour­tesy of Con­nor Hen­der­son, Kyle Horne and Va­clav Ko­larik.

As the game moved into its fi­nal ses­sion, the flood­gates fi­nally gave way and the Sharks were able to run in a to­tal of nine unan­swered third pe­riod goals through Con­nor Hen­der­son, Marek Char­vat, Ko­larik, Speirs, James Hutchin­son, Joe Coul­ter and fi­nally Scott Hen­der­son.

Over the course of the game, the visi­tors can take heart from the fact that they didn’t let their heads drop un­til late in the game and from the per­for­mance of net­min­der Jonah Arm­strong who made a string of fine saves and one su­perb glove save in the first pe­riod.

Man of the match for the visi­tors was pre­sented to Ge­off Wig­glesworth and to Con­nor Hen­der­son for the home side.


On Sun­day evening the Sharks com­pleted a very wel­come four point week­end with an ex­cel­lent ‘come from be­hind’ 5-3 vic­tory over the Stars at the Billing­ham Fo­rum and for the first time this sea­son were able to in­clude Jor­dan Buesa and Josh Grieve­son.

For the open­ing 12 min­utes there was lit­tle to choose be­tween the two teams and they tended to can­cel each other for much of the time at cen­tre ice. The game sud­denly sprung into life when Stu­art Kerr sent Ste­vie Moore down the left wing to set up Ross Mur­ray to score with a shot from a nar­row an­gle that beat James Flavell at his near post.

The Billing­ham re­sponse was quick and de­ci­sive as Michael El­der fired home from the right-hand cir­cle be­fore Deniss Baska­tovs gave his side the lead with a neat side-step and shot from the slot.

The Stars started the sec­ond pe­riod on a pow­er­play after Speirs had been called for a hook at the very end of the pre­vi­ous ses­sion and they soon made the Sharks pay a heav­ier price when the un­marked Chris Sykes scored from about three yards out.

The Sharks were soon on a pow­er­play of their own but left it un­til the fi­nal sec­ond to score when Con­nor Hen­der­son and Moore com­bined to work the puck back out to Hutchin­son to net with a slap­shot through traf­fic from the blue­line.

While nei­ther side could be faulted for ef­fort, there was no more scor­ing un­til the game moved into its fi­nal ten min­utes when the Sharks moved up After the week­end’s four-point haul, Sol­way Sharks face two more vi­tal fix­tures this week­end in their pur­suit of the NIHL Di­vi­sion 1 North ti­tle.

The Sharks, spon­sored by Build­ing Crafts­men (Dum­fries) Ltd, are now back up to third in the league ta­ble, three points be­hind the league-lead­ing Sh­effield Steel­dogs whom they meet on Satur­day night at Dum­fries Ice Bowl. Face-off is at 7pm.

On Sun­day the Sharks make the long jour­ney down to Not­ting­ham to play the Lions at the Mo­tor­point Arena. Jor­dan Buesa in ac­tion against Billing­ham on Sun­day

a gear to score three times without re­ply.

First off the mark was Speirs when he hit the tar­get from the slot after good work on the back boards from Buesa.

Thirty sec­onds later Sol­way took the lead when provider be­came goal scorer as Buesa fired home a Hutchin­son pass from the high slot.

Billing­ham tried their best to get back into the game but found that Sol­way had the back door fully bolted

and their luck fi­nally ran out eigh­teen sec­onds from the end when they lost pos­ses­sion in Sharks ter­ri­tory where Char­vat was on hand to fire home an empty net goal.

The man of the match award for the Sharks went to James Hutchin­son for an ex­cel­lent and com­posed per­for­mance while James Flavell was the equally de­serv­ing re­cip­i­ent for the Stars.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.