Valu­able point at Mon­trose

Dumfries & Galloway Standard - - SPORT -

Mon­trose .............. 1 An­nan Ath­letic ..... 1

An­nan’s fine away form con­tin­ued with a hard-fought draw against sec­ond-placed Mon­trose.

The point was even more valu­able fol­low­ing Steven Swingle­hurst’s dis­missal for a sec­ond yel­low card with 20 min­utes still on the clock.

Boss Peter Mur­phy was forced to make one change from the side which drew with Ber­wick Rangers the pre­vi­ous week­end, with Scott Roberts start­ing in place of the sus­pended Rabin Omar.

Mon­trose started the game pos­i­tively win­ning a free kick on the edge of the box but Iain Camp­bell’s ef­fort went well wide.

The home fans were on their feet af­ter only seven min­utes when Craig Johnston skipped past the chal­lenge of Jack Bran­nan and fired a low cross to Chris Tem­ple­ton who grate­fully fired in from close range.

Tem­ple­ton al­most dou­bled the Gable Endies lead min­utes later when his header crashed against the cross­bar from Camp­bell’s corner kick.

It was a nervy start from the vis­i­tors but they grad­u­ally worked their way back into the game.

In the 17th minute Roberts squan­dered a golden op­por­tu­nity to equalise when he headed wide from an invit­ing Dan Orsi cross.

An­nan’s good spell con­tin­ued as they took the game to Mon­trose and in the 23rd minute Orsi did well again to set up Blair Hen­der­son who fired past the post.

Swingle­hurst re­ceived his first yel­low card on the half hour mark when he brought down Johnston on the half way line.

An­nan fin­ished the first half on the front foot. Scott Hooper’s 40th minute ef­fort went over the bar be­fore Peter Wat­son’s header from a Ryan Sin­na­mon corner was di­rected straight into the arms of keeper Alan Flem­ing.

Mon­trose started the sec­ond half ex­actly as they had in the first and, fol­low­ing a 52nd minute corner, An­nan had keeper Jim Atkinson to thank when he saved Tem­ple­ton’s well struck low shot with his feet.

Once again An­nan worked their way into the half and in the 60th minute struck back when they won a free kick 30 yards out.

Sin­na­mon’s per­fectly flighted free kick caused un­cer­tainty in the Mon­trose de­fence, al­low­ing Swingle­hurst to level the tie from close range.

The cen­tre back then re­ceived his sec­ond book­ing in the 70th minute for a chal­lenge on Sean Dil­lon, forc­ing Mur­phy into a reshuffle which saw de­fender Ayr­ton Sonkar in­tro­duced at the ex­pense of Roberts.

Down to 10 men, the vis­i­tors were for­tu­nate to see Terry Mas­son’s well-di­rected shot hit the top of the cross­bar as Mon­trose tried to prize open the An­nan de­fence.

Now un­der the cosh, Peter Wat­son res­cued his side late on by hook­ing a Gra­ham Web­ster ef­fort off the goal line.

In the dy­ing min­utes, Orsi opened up the de­fence and al­most grabbed An­nan all three points but his late ef­fort sailed wide.

Steven Swingle­hurst scored the goal but was later red-carded

Peter Wat­son made a goal-line clear­ance in dy­ing min­utes

Saint and sin­ner


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.