Lochar and New­ton share the spoils

Dumfries & Galloway Standard - - SPORT - John McNaught

There were three South of Scot­land League games played on Satur­day with the pick of the matches be­ing at Maxwell­town High School where sec­ond top Lochar This­tle played host to fourth-placed New­ton Ste­wart.

If the home side had taken all three points in this en­counter, they would have gone top of the league. How­ever, they had to be con­tent with a sin­gle point af­ter a three-all draw.

Things looked good early on for Lochar with Iain An­der­son giv­ing them the lead in the sev­enth minute but within two min­utes Roddy Cook­sley had lev­elled the match.

Lochar re­took the lead on the half hour mark with An­der­son again find­ing the net to give his side an ad­van­tage that they took into the break.

New­ton started the sec­ond half on the at­tack and it was no sur­prise when striker Robert Mid­dle­ton found and equaliser in the 50th minute.

Bet­ter was to come for the vis­i­tors though when five min­utes later Graeme Blain put them ahead for the first time in the match.

The Creesiders were re­duced to 10 men when cen­tral de­fender Scott For­rester was sent off for a sec­ond yel­low and Lochar used this ad­van­tage to pres­surise the New­ton de­fence al­though it took un­til three min­utes from time when the fresh legs of sub­sti­tute Lee Martin found an equaliser to com­pete the scor­ing.

Niths­dale Wan­der­ers seem to have found some good form and they recorded a 2-1 vic­tory over Bon­ny­ton This­tle at San­quhar while Stran­raer and St Cuth­bert Wan­der­ers shared eight goals and the points at Stair Park. Saints’ goals came from four dif­fer­ent scor­ers with Ian Miller, Robert Pais­ley, Andrew Don­ley and Ross Hunter all find­ing the net.

There was one resched­uled South League Cup sec­ond round match played when Abbey Vale beat Lochmaben by four goals to one.

Graeme Bell opened the scor­ing with a de­flected ef­fort with Dy­lan Cairnie adding a sec­ond be­fore the vis­i­tors pulled one back through Dar­ren Not­man.

How­ever, a dou­ble from Brodie Turner se­cured vic­tory for Vale to put them through to the next round.

The sec­ond round of the SFA Re­gional Chal­lenge Cup was played with sev­eral lo­cal teams tak­ing part. How­ever, the only sur­viv­ing one now is Th­reave Rovers who beat Mid An­nan­dale by three goals to nil at Meadow Park. Dan Thom scored a first half dou­ble and Grant Mid­dle­miss se­cured vic­tory with a sec­ond half strike.

Dal­beat­tie Star lost out in an away match against BSC Glas­gow by four goals to one while Low­land League side White­hill Wel­fare recorded a three goals to nil vic­tory over Cree­town. All the goals came in the first half through a Craig Reid header, a fur­ther goal from Gary Ni­chol­son and an­other headed ef­fort from Dy­lan Wel­don.

In the only other con­test in­volv­ing South teams, Up­per An­nan­dale went out by virtue of a three goals to one de­feat at the hands of Low­land League side Vale of Lei­then with Peter Pa­gan scor­ing for the Mof­fat side and Smith, Isiah and Al­lan scor­ing the three goals to put Vale through to meet White­hill at home in the next round.

Re­sults, Satur­day, Novem­ber 11:

South of Scot­land League: Lochar This­tle 3 New­ton Ste­wart 3; Niths­dale Wan­der­ers 2 Bon­ny­ton This­tle 1; Stran­raer 4 St Cuth­bert Wan­der­ers 4.

South League Cup sec­ond round: Abbey Vale 4 Lochmaben 1.

SFA Re­gional Chal­lenge Cup (South): BSC Glas­gow 2 East Stir­ling 1; Civil Ser­vice Strollers 4 Dal­beat­tie Star 1; Edus­port Academy 2 Spar­tans 1; Leith Ath­letic 3 Ed­in­burgh Univer­sity 2; Loth­ian This­tle Hutchi­son Vale 5 Tynecas­tle 1; Th­reave Rovers 3 Mid An­nan­dale 0; Vale of Lei­then 3 Up­per An­nan­dale 1; White­hill Wel­fare 3 Cree­town 0.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.