Arguments on flood defences go online
Flood prevention scheme protesters and supporters can see the opposing arguments on a Scottish Government website.
The views and proposals of the groups are online now after being posted earlier this week in the leadup to next month’s public inquiry.
Opposition group Save Our Sands insist there are cheaper versions of barriers to protect homes and businesses and are vehemently against the £25 million scheme proposed by the council.
Spokesman John Dowson said: “It’s a ridiculous waste of money.
“So many people are against it. The fact our fighting fund overtook its £5,000 target in weeks says so much about the strength of feeling.
“The money is to be used to pay lawyers, architects and engineers to back our case. But the resources available to the council, who have already spent £90,000 on their solicitors – who are not from Dumfries – shows that it really is a David and Goliath battle.”
The council proposal includes an earth banking stretch from Dock Park along Whitesands towards the Greensands. The area has regularly been hit by flooding over the years with water cascading through riverfront businesses.
SOS members and waterfront firms’ owners are furious that the council’s plan would take three years to implement and also block views of the Nith and the town’s old Devorgilla Bridge.
The public inquiry is due to start on November 6 at the Crichton and is expected to run for four weeks.
Anyone wanting to study the reports should log on to: https:// www.dpea.scotland.gov.uk/ CaseDetails.aspx?id=118470 and the reference is FPS-170-1 (Flood Prevention Scheme).