Les laps it up at Chor­ley race

Run­ner clocks up more than 40 miles in six hours

Dumfries & Galloway Standard - - HARDROCK CHALLENGE -

At the Chor­ley six hour road race, Dum­fries Run­ning Club’s Les Hill added 1.3k to the Bri­tish veteran males record when he recorded 66.712k (41.5 miles).

The race is held over a gravel and tar­mac loop of 732 me­tres that grad­u­ally slopes down­wards then sim­i­larly climbs for the sec­ond half.

With fair con­di­tions and only a slight breeze, Les knew he had a chance of im­prov­ing on the record he set last year in the rain.

The aim is to com­plete as many laps as pos­si­ble in the six hours.

At half­way point Les was fifth but knew he was on tar­get hav­ing com­pleted 16 laps for each hour and a to­tal of 48. Know­ing he needed 89 laps for the record meant he only re­quired 41 more.

Les main­tained his form and com­pleted 15 laps in the fourth hour dur­ing which he was timed at 3 hours 35 min­utes and 36 sec­onds at the marathon point.

He was able to run for the full six hours with­out walk­ing and com­pleted 14 laps in both the fifth and fi­nal hours. Dur­ing the sec­ond half of the race, he moved in to sec­ond place as those ahead of him were re­duced to walk­ing reg­u­larly.

He av­er­aged just un­der seven miles an hour by the time he fin­ished at 4pm and dur­ing that time com­pleted the equiv­a­lent of more than 13 back-to-back Parkruns.

Cum­brian Way Ul­tra re­lay

The Cum­brian Way Ul­tra is a 73-mile race from Ulver­ston to Carlisle for in­di­vid­u­als or as a re­lay event for teams of two or five.

As the race has a 6am start, the DRC team of Bob Quin, Vicky Hart, Laura Broatch, Andy Dick­son and David Burns set off on the Fri­day night for reg­is­tra­tion.

Ev­ery­one was up bright and early for the 5:30 race brief­ing and to see Bob off on the first leg. It was dry and cool as the run­ners set off to Con­is­ton.

Bob had done this leg the pre­vi­ous time DRC en­tered a team two years ago, so he was con­fi­dent of nav­i­gat­ing it eas­ily enough. The other team mem­bers piled into the car and set off for the first changeover.

With live track­ing it was sim­ple to pre­dict and be ready for run­ners com­ing. They turned off the road, crossed a small bridge and reg­is­tered their time at the foot­ball pav­il­ion.

Ex­cept Bob didn’t quite man­age that. He ran nearly 17 miles over trails and paths with no in­ci­dent, but when faced with a small bridge 10 yards from the fin­ish of his leg, he tripped and in­jured his hand. It looked sore but in true team spirit he bounced straight back up, fin­ished his leg and handed over to Andy.

Andy set off for the next changeover at Stick­le­barn. Andy had been forced to give up run­ning at the be­gin­ning of the year on med­i­cal ad­vice. But a cou­ple of stents have given him a new run­ning lease of life.

This leg over hilly ter­rain and prob­a­bly go­ing to take him over 2 hours to com­plete was go­ing to be a big test of how far he had come.

The rest of the team set off for the next change which was in Great Lang­dale. It was still dry but get­ting a bit warmer and ev­ery so of­ten you would spot a run­ner in the dis­tance.

The team didn’t have to wait long be­fore Andy ar­rived in an ex­cel­lent time and he handed over to Vicky for the next leg to Keswick.

Vicky’s leg started with a very steep climb. As the rest of the team made their way to Keswick the hill­tops looked as if they were get­ting a right good soak­ing and she def­i­nitely got the worst weather con­di­tions of the day.

By the time the team ar­rived in Keswick it was again dry and quite warm. As this was quite a long leg the rest of the team headed for some­thing to eat and to meet up with some more sup­port­ers who had come to Keswick. Bob had had his arm strapped up by a medic in Con­is­ton and a com­bi­na­tion of painkillers and a cou­ple of pints kept the worst of the pain at bay.

The changeover points were ex­cel­lent in their pro­vi­sion of food for the run­ners, this one in Keswick was par­tic­u­larly good be­cause Su­san Gra­ham was help­ing out there.

Live track­ing al­lowed Laura to be ready and wait­ing for Vicky and with the han­dover com­pleted she headed off on what from a climb­ing point of view was the hard­est sec­tion of the run. Hav­ing com­pleted sev­eral ul­tras this year al­ready, dis­tance wouldn’t be an is­sue, how­ever ev­ery run is tough in its own way.

The team headed off for Cald­beck and an­other ex­cel­lent time on this leg meant that the han­dover to David was com­pleted and the team were well up on the pre­vi­ous DRC time. It also meant David would have more time in day­light.

This leg con­sists of two sec­tions, to Dal­ston and then onto Carlisle. The first sec­tion is flat but through coun­try­side the sec­ond sec­tion is on a cy­cle path with few in­ter­est­ing fea­tures.

With the rest of the re­lay team wait­ing at the fin­ish in the court­yard of Carlisle Cas­tle, David crossed the fin­ish line 11 sec­onds un­der the time of the pre­vi­ous DRC team at 22:00. The team were pre­sented with their bot­tle of beer and, use­fully, their bot­tle opener medal.

The team were in­formed that they were 1st in the re­lay event how­ever due to the fact that some solo run­ners would take an­other 10 hours to com­plete the race, the prize giv­ing would not be tak­ing place un­til the fol­low­ing morn­ing.

On the Sun­day morn­ing, Vicky, Laura and Andy trav­elled back to Carlisle to be pre­sented with the prizes of very nice slate coast­ers and buffs all round as the win­ning team.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.