POINTS OF INTEREST
The arboretum; formerly part of Lynford Hall estate, this area still retains features which reflect its parkland origins. Some of the planting was done by trainees when the hall was a training centre for the Forestry Commission B. Lynford Hall was built for Mr and Mrs Lyne Stephens between 1856 and 1859. Mr Lyne Stephens died in 1860 but his widow lived at Lynford until her death in 1894. The hall passed through a number of owners from the turn of the century until 1930 when it was purchased by the Forestry Commission and refurbished as a grace and favour residence for Sir James Calder. During the Second World War the hall was used as an officer convalescent hospital. In 1945 it became a training college for foresters. The college closed in 1957 and is now a wedding and function venue C. Dog agility area D. Glimpsed through the roadside trees, a passing traveller could be forgiven for marvelling at the audacity of the bold deer parading at this popular picnic site. The distinctive creature, however, is no more than a metal imitation target stag, found by the Forestry Commission workers when the area was being planted. It belonged to the former owner of Lynford Hall, Sir Richard Sutton, Master of the Hunt, and bears the scars of its former role. In addition, there is a giant wooden sculpture of a deer!