Mo­torist ad­mits caus­ing death of two-year-old girl in dan­ger­ous driv­ing smash

Evening Express (City Final) - - Scotland Today -

A MAN has ad­mit­ted killing a two-year-old girl af­ter his car mounted the pave­ment.

Har­low Ed­wards was walk­ing along the pave­ment with two other chil­dren – aged six and 17 at the time – when two cars crashed on the road close to them in Coupar An­gus on Oc­to­ber 13 last year.

A Ford Fo­cus driven by Luke Pirie mounted the pave­ment hit­ting all three, in­stantly killing Har­low and throw­ing the oth­ers over a road­side wall.

At the High Court in Ed­in­burgh yes­ter­day, 23-yearold Pirie pleaded guilty to caus­ing death by dan­ger­ous driv­ing.

He had passed his driv­ing test just a year be­fore and was said to be “worked up” as he left his work at Scone Air­port in Perth to travel to his part­ner’s home in Montrose.

Ad­vo­cate De­pute Iain Mcs­por­ran QC told the court Pirie was seen speed­ing through Coupar An­gus and had used his mo­bile for calls, texts and a Face­time be­fore the crash.

CCTV showed the Ford Fo­cus speed­ing be­hind a line of traf­fic mo­ments be­fore the crash.

The cars in front had slowed as a Citroen sig­nalled to turn right but Pirie pulled out and tried to over­take the traf­fic, col­lid­ing with the Citroen at around 50mph as it be­gan to turn.

Mr Mcs­por­ran said the ac­cused lost con­trol of his car which spun and mounted the pave­ment where the chil­dren were walk­ing af­ter get­ting off a bus.

Har­low suf­fered “mul­ti­ple se­vere in­juries” while the 17-year-old suf­fered bleed­ing on the brain and a spinal frac­ture which left her in a wheel­chair for three months.

The other child suf­fered a skull frac­ture and per­ma­nent scar­ring in the crash.

De­fence lawyer Mark Stewart QC said his client “wrongly be­lieved it was a sta­tion­ary line of traf­fic” when he tried to over­take.

A vic­tim im­pact state­ment from Har­low’s mother, Sara, was read to the court in which she said she had been “robbed of a life­time of mem­o­ries”.

Mrs Ed­wards said she cries her­self to sleep ev­ery night and now ex­pects bad news ev­ery time the phone rings.

Pirie was re­manded in cus­tody with the case ad­journed to Oc­to­ber 4 for sen­tenc­ing.

Judge Lord Ericht told him: “Be­cause of what you did Har­low will never re­turn home.”

He was dis­qual­i­fied from driv­ing ahead of sen­tenc­ing. Mr Stewart said Pirie ac­cepted his re­spon­si­bil­ity and made no mo­tion for bail.

Mounted the pave­ment hit­ting all three

TRAGIC: Har­low Ed­wards was killed af­ter be­ing hit by the car.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.