‘Lucky’ Mil­lie says thanks af­ter crash

Evening Express (City Final) - - News - BY DALE HASLAM

A TEENAGER who broke her back when her car flipped over and smashed into a tree said she feels lucky to have es­caped with­out more se­ri­ous in­juries.

Stu­dent Mil­lie Farmer was driv­ing home from her part-time ho­tel job when her red Re­nault Clio left the road, flew into the air and ploughed into a tree. The 18-year-old stum­bled out of the car and feared no­body would come to her aid on the dark coun­try road – but five Good Sa­mar­i­tans pulled over to help. They as­sisted the North East Scot­land Col­lege so­cial ser­vices stu­dent in call­ing the po­lice and get­ting an am­bu­lance. Af­ter suf­fer­ing a frac­tured ver­te­brae in her lower spine, as well as cuts and bruises, Mil­lie is now re­cov­er­ing at home with the sup­port of her fam­ily – and has thanked those who helped her fol­low­ing the hor­rific smash, which hap­pened on the B9170 near Old­mel­drum. “It’s a quiet road and I was wor­ried no­body would drive past, but I was very lucky peo­ple came to help me,” said Mil­lie. “I re­ally want to thank them for what they did. It could have been a com­pletely dif­fer­ent story with­out them. “I’m lucky I wasn’t se­ri­ously hurt.” Mil­lie, of Meth­lick, works as a wait­ress in the restau­rant at Mel­drum House Coun­try Ho­tel and Golf Course and fin­ished a shift late on Satur­day night. “I drove off and made it around four bends and then just came off the road. It all hap­pened re­ally fast,” she said. “The car flipped over in the air and the next thing I knew it had crashed into a tree.” Mil­lie stopped the en­gine, grabbed her mo­bile phone, which was charg­ing be­side her, and got out of the car. The first driver to stop was Stephen Simp­son, who helped Mil­lie get over a wall, away from the car and to safety. He was closely fol­lowed by a cou­ple, and then an­other older cou­ple. Mil­lie said: “They were all such a mas­sive help. It was re­ally cold and I waited in one of their cars un­til the po­lice ar­rived. They dis­tracted me and made sure I was okay. “The cou­ples told me their names but I for­got them be­cause I was still in shock and tak­ing in what hap­pened. I would love to be able to thank them for what they did.” Mil­lie was taken to Aberdeen Royal In­fir­mary where she un­der­went scans and an X-ray. Th med­i­cal staff were un­will­ing to let Mil­lie sleep for a few hours af­ter the crash in case she had con­cus­sion. She was kept in for ob­ser­va­tion be­fore get­ting home on Sun­day. On the way home, she stopped to see her Re­nault Clio, which has been writ­ten off. Mil­lie said: “It took the im­pact well. I’m lucky that I wasn’t more badly in­jured. “I’ve been given painkillers and I’m tak­ing it easy un­til my back gets bet­ter.”

Mil­lie, 18, wants to thank all the peo­ple who came to her aid and, inset, Mil­lie’s wrecked Re­nault Clio

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.