‘My son’s face has been left un­recog­nis­able’

Evening Express (City Final) - - Front Page - BY LEE MCCANN

A TOD­DLER has been left “un­recog­nis­able” af­ter a crash on a north-east road, his dev­as­tated mum said.

Three-year-old John-paul Rhynd suf­fered fa­cial in­juries and a po­ten­tial frac­tured skull fol­low­ing the three-ve­hi­cle smash on the A90 south of Peter­head on Sun­day.

The tod­dler was trav­el­ling to the Buchan town with his dad, Paul, in their green Citroen Ber­lingo van when the col­li­sion hap­pened at 2pm.

A white Da­cia Duster SUV and blue Re­nault HGV were also in­volved in the smash, which saw emer­gency ser­vices called to the scene.

The in­ci­dent hap­pened close to the spot where the young­ster’s un­cle died in a crash a decade ago.

John-paul’s mum Anthea spoke of her heartache fol­low­ing the ac­ci­dent and said the Peter­head fam­ily now face an anx­ious wait to find out if the tod­dler has a frac­tured skull.

Anthea said: “Both of them were in hos­pi­tal for a day and at the mo­ment we’ve been told we need to wait for the swelling to go down so a scan can be done.

“It could take be­tween two to three weeks for that so we are keep­ing an eye on him and I am wor­ried. It’s been heart­break­ing to watch him af­ter the ac­ci­dent. He is nor­mally such a happy and en­er­getic child, al­ways smil­ing.

“Now he’s been very quiet and cry­ing – he can’t re­ally do any­thing at the mo­ment.”

The 27-year-old added: “My son’s face has been left un­recog­nis­able from the ac­ci­dent.”

Paul broke his wrist in two places in the col­li­sion and suf­fered a bruised ster­num.

Fol­low­ing the ac­ci­dent he car­ried his young son from the wreck­age of their van – fear­ing it could ig­nite.

The 29-year-old said: “I man­aged to get my seat­belt off and got John-paul out of the car be­cause I was smelling burn­ing and I wasn’t sure if any­thing was go­ing to ex­plode.

“A woman had stopped and we waited in her car for the am­bu­lance to ar­rive. I didn’t know at the time my wrist was bro­ken, I re­mem­ber strug­gling to breathe.

“I just wanted them to make sure John-paul was given treat­ment first.”

Anthea thanked the woman who stopped to help the pair.

She said: “I would re­ally like to thank the lady that stopped to help and sup­port John-paul and Paul.”

Anthea said she be­came wor­ried about them af­ter they took longer to re­turn home than ex­pected.

She said: “Po­lice told me they had seen John-paul had a cut on his lip so when I got to the hos­pi­tal that was what I was ex­pect­ing.

“But he had blood over his face, his head was swollen and he has bruises on his pelvis. John-paul couldn’t see out of his eyes.”

A decade ago Anthea’s fam­ily suf­fered a tragedy on the same stretch of road.

Anthea added: “My brother John died on the same stretch of road, two min­utes from where this hap­pened in De­cem­ber 2006.

“My brother was my best friend and it was ter­ri­fy­ing to think that I could lose John-paul on the same road around the same time.”

An­other mo­torist in­volved in Sun­day’s in­ci­dent has been charged by Po­lice Scot­land and is due to ap­pear at Peter­head Sher­iff Court at a later date.

John-paul Rhynd, pic­tured in­set, be­fore and af­ter he was in­jured in the smash on the A90 near Peter­head, above

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.