Briton named as victim of deadly bomb blast
Writer among 16 killed in explosion
BRITISH writer Peter Moss was named among the 16 victims of a terrorist bomb that ripped through a busy tourist cafe in Morocco.
The Jewish Chronicle said Mr Moss, 59, who used to write for the newspaper, had been killed in the blast in the popular Djemma el-Fna square in Marrakech on Thursday.
Consular assistance was being provided to the next of kin, the Foreign Office said, although it was unable to officially confirm the death.
Foreign Office Minister Alistair Burt said: “We believe that a British national was among the 16 people killed.
“My thoughts are with their friends and families and all those affected by this distressing incident.
“We are in touch with next of kin and are offering them full consular support.”
He said an FCO Rapid Deployment Team had arrived in Marrakech and was working with Moroccan authorities.
“While we do not yet know the exact cause of the blast, reports from the Moroccan authorities are that this may have been a result of terrorism. An act of this kind, causing the death of 16 innocent people, is cruel and wrong, and I condemn it in the strongest terms,” Mr Burt said.
On its website, the Londonbased Jewish Chronicle said Mr Moss had two children and had also worked as a broadcaster, comedian and novelist.
Laurie Margolis, 60, a friend of Mr Moss, said: “He was an interesting guy. He reinvented himself twice.
“His family business was in property. Then 15 or 20 years ago he reinvented himself as a stand-up comic, and then as a travel writer.”
Mr Margolis knew Mr Moss because their now adult daughters were friends at primary school. He added: “I imagine he was writing a travel piece in Morocco.”
He said he believed Mr Moss – who was divorced and is survived by a daughter Lucy, and a son Gideon – lived in west Hampstead.
Moroccan officials today said the device had been packed with nails and set off remotely.
EXPLOSION: The Argna cafe, on Djemma el-Fna square in Marrakech, was blown apart.