Alert in Lon­don af­ter ex­plo­sion

Evening Times - - FRONT PAGE -

EX­E­CU­TIONER Al­bert Pier­re­point made a re­turn trip to the city of Glas­gow for an­other hang­ing just six weeks af­ter end­ing the life of dance­hall killer James Smith.

There within the walls of Barlinnie he placed a noose around the neck of Pa­trick Gal­lagher Deveney, 42, a Go­van labourer who killed the mother of his five chil­dren.

No mem­bers of the pub­lic turned up out­side the prison to watch the pin­ning of the ex­e­cu­tion no­tice on the main door.

Only prison of­fi­cials, po­lice and press were there at a minute or two past 8am to con­firm that “sen­tence of death was this day ex­e­cuted on Pa­trick Gal­lagher Deveney”

The no­tice was signed by six wit­nesses in­clud­ing Gover­nor Mayo; De­pute town clerk J F Fal­coner, Prison in­terim medical of­fi­cer T Poole, Ro­man Catholic vis­it­ing cler­gy­man James Sweeney, and Mag­is­trates John H Sher­riff and Sa­muel Hay Gar­diner.

Fol­low­ing the ex­e­cu­tion, it was con­firmed that ev­ery­thing had been car­ried out “in a sat­is­fac­tory man­ner and ex­pe­di­tiously done”.

And like that Deveney was gone. But his end­ing was his own do­ing. Aside from killing his own wife in the home they shared, Deveney had left his five chil­dren or­phans.

He first ap­peared at the High Court in Glas­gow charged with killing his 37-year-old wife Jeanie, whose maiden name was Todd.

The ac­cu­sa­tion was that on Fe­bru­ary 26, 1952 in his house at Black­burn Street, Glas­gow, Deveney at­tacked his wife, struck her on the head with a ham­mer or sim­i­lar in­stru­ment, tied a neck­tie round her neck and stran­gled her.

An­other al­le­ga­tion that he “pre­vi­ously evinced mal­ice and ill will against her” was added to the charge of mur­der.

The trial lasted three days and in clos­ing the ad­vo­cate-de­pute Mr D M Camp­bell asked the jury of eight women and seven men for a ver­dict of guilty, which they de­liv­ered.

He said: “It is not a pleas­ant thing to ask and it is an equally un­pleas­ant thing for a jury to have to do but I have my duty to do and you have yours to do as cit­i­zens, and it is in that frame of mind that we must ap­proach this case.”

As this di­rec­tion was be­ing read out to the jury, Deveney sat in the dock in a re­laxed at­ti­tude with his face im­mo­bile. His right hand on the back of which was a tat­tooed blue­bird rested lightly on his left leg.

When ev­i­dence in the case had ended be­fore Lord Keith, the jury had heard from the de­fence that Deveney had a ‘psy­cho­pathic per­son­al­ity’. He suf­fered from black­outs and was ad­dicted to as­pirin tablets.

The jury also heard about the un­happy his­tory of Deveney’s mar­riage which ended in the mur­der of his wife at 8pm on Fe­bru­ary 26.

Her body was only dis­cov­ered af­ter her brother and two po­lice of­fi­cers had to force en­try to the house. There on the kitchen floor, the mother-of­five lay stran­gled still wear­ing her over­coat which sug­gests she had only just got in the door when Deveney at­tacked.

Deveney him­self went to Greenock po­lice sta­tion with his brother to tell them some­thing was up with his wife. He told them she was in the house and he also pro­duced a Yale key. Those ac­tions were some­thing which in­crim­i­nated him more dur­ing the High Court trial.

The De­pute Ad­vo­cate told ju­rors dur­ing the trial: “We do not know ex­actly what hap­pened be­tween these two that af­ter­noon but it is not an un­rea­son­able in­fer­ence that some sort of strug­gle oc­curred. There was blood near the sink. There was a smear of blood on the wall­pa­per. And the woman’s body was ly­ing be­tween the fire­place and the bed, cov­ered with a heap of bed­clothes.

“We also know there had been a good deal of un­hap­pi­ness be­tween Mrs Deveney and her hus­band. We heard from her mother about their quar­relling on the pre­vi­ous Satur­day, and of the milk bot­tles be­ing thrown.

“We know that Mrs Deveney came to her mother and spend the nights of Satur­day and Sun­day there. We know that she went back on the Mon­day but that on the Tues­day morn­ing she called again on her mother in a state of ag­i­ta­tion and said to her mother, ‘We were quar­relling again all night. He says he is go­ing to kill me.”

The De­pute Ad­vo­cate con­tin­ued: “Later the same day she called on her friend Mrs Wil­son, and she told Mrs Wil­son ‘He has threat­ened to cut me to pieces.’

Those threats turned into re­al­ity, and Deveney through stran­gled his vic­tim un­til her last breath. He did not ap­peal against the ver­dict for his evil ac­tions and on May 29, 1952, Deveney left this earth.

lTo­mor row, the reclu­sive pen­sioner af­fec­tion­ately known as ‘Old Mick’.

A ter­ror­ist in­ci­dent sent a blast through a packed un­der­ground train this morn­ing. Pic­tures showed a flam­ing bucket on the train at Par­sons Green in west Lon­don. There were in­juries, but none thought to be life-threat­en­ing

Guards would pin no­tices out­side Barlinnie af­ter an ex­e­cu­tion. No mem­ber of the pub­lic turned up to see Deveney’s no­tice

Bar­lin­nine Prison was the scene for the hang­ing, with Al­bert Pier­re­point, in­set, in the role of the ex­e­cu­tioner at the jail

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.