Flats evac­u­ated as fire­fight­ers bat­tle blaze at pop­u­lar restau­rant

Evening Times - - FRONT PAGE - BY AFTAB ALI

A STREET was sealed off and dozens of peo­ple evac­u­ated when a fire broke out in a Glas­gow fish and chip restau­rant.

Eleven fire en­gines bat­tled to bring the blaze un­der con­trol, as thick, black smoke en­gulfed the bustling West End shop­ping area.

Old Sal­tys, on Byres Road, had closed ear­lier this week due to “ven­ti­la­tion is­sues”.

DOZENS of peo­ple were forced to flee their flats yes­ter­day af­ter a fire broke out at a fish and chip restau­rant.

The flames raged in Byres Road, in Glas­gow’s West End, just be­fore 9am.

Thick, black smoke was seen bil­low­ing above the bustling area as fire­fight­ers, po­lice and am­bu­lance crews rushed to the blaze at Old Salty’s. Flats on the first and sec­ond floors of the three­storey build­ing were evac­u­ated.

Glas­gow City Coun­cil closed Byres Road to all traf­fic be­tween High­burgh Road and Great West­ern Road as about 11 ap­pli­ances bat­tled to bring the flames un­der con­trol.

The fire broke out in the chippy’s kitchen and two peo­ple, be­lieved to be men, had to be treated at the scene by am­bu­lance crews. One was later taken to hospi­tal.

Old Salty’s had closed ear­lier this week, cit­ing “ven­ti­la­tion is­sues” as be­ing be­hind the venue hav­ing to shut on Sun­day and Mon­day.

A Scot­tish Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice spokesman said: “We were alerted at 8.42am to re­ports of a kitchen fire within a busi­ness premises.

“Op­er­a­tions con­trol im­me­di­ately mo­bilised a num­ber of fire en­gines and an aerial unit to the build­ing, where fire­fight­ers tack­led a fire on the ground floor.

“Two ca­su­al­ties were

treated by the Scot­tish Am­bu­lance Ser­vice for mi­nor smoke in­hala­tion, and the first and sec­ond floor flats were evac­u­ated.”

Crews re­mained at the scene for most of yes­ter­day af­ter­noon en­sur­ing the area was made safe.

A spokes­woman for the Scot­tish Am­bu­lance Ser­vice said: “We re­ceived a call at 8.46am. We dis­patched a paramedic re­sponse unit and an am­bu­lance to the scene.

“One male pa­tient was trans­ported to Queen El­iz­a­beth Univer­sity Hospi­tal.”

Po­lice also said its of­fi­cers were alerted to the in­ci­dent at about 8.50am and that a joint in­ves­ti­ga­tion would be car­ried out with Scot­tish Fire and Res­cue Ser­vice to de­ter­mine the cause of the blaze.

Pic­ture by Kirsty An­der­son

Pic­tures: Kirsty An­der­son

The street was sealed off as fire­fight­ers moved in to tackle the blaze, which broke out in the kitchen

Fire­fight­ers stand by as the scene re­mains taped off

Fire­fight­ers donned breath­ing equip­ment be­fore mov­ing in to put out the flames

Fire­fight­ers take a break as the heat from the blaze and the strong sun­shine leave them look­ing a lit­tle weary

Smoke bil­lowed into nearby streets

Job done, as a fire­fighter leaves the chippy

... as a tele­vi­sion crew films the drama

Smoke pours from the restau­rant...

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.