The Past in Colour . . . . . . . .
This photograph was taken in the summer of 1953 and it’s not hard to guess where, when or why.
The green car on the left is a Hillman Minx, in front of which is a ubiquitous black Ford Anglia, preceded by a soft top Morris Minor, then an Austin, Rover and various other cars — all painted black!
Nearest the camera on the right is an Austin A40 followed by an older model, possibly an Austin 16, from which three youngsters have their heads popping out of the sunroof, waving small Union Jacks. Behind them is a an open- top American car, in a daring shade of what looks like beige or yellow.
Behind that is a Morris taxi and a giveaway red London Bus, an AEC Regent RT model, predecessor to the Routemaster, with its age indicated by the raised number board on the roof.
On the immediate left is a famous department store but which one? Next door is Penberthy’s Glove House, founded in 1881, and the large building beyond is Swears and Wells, a posh ladies fashion shop which sold furs and also dated back to the Victorian period. Both have long since disappeared but what is the scaffolding in between?
On the immediate right is Horne Brothers menswear and next door is the District Bank, originally the Manchester and Liverpool District Bank which was taken over by what eventually became the Nat West.
Got it yet? Of course! It’s Oxford Street in London, suitably decorated for the Coronation. On the left is the end of the exquisite colonnaded Selfridges and the scaffolding next door is a temporary stand, dozens of which were erected along the route of the regal procession.