It was in February 1876 that Partick Thistle played their first match at Overnewton Park in the burgh of Partick against a local team known as Valencia. They settled at Meadowfield in 1891, and two years later were elected to the Scottish Second Division, winning promotion in 1897.
The club alternated between the two divisions until they established themselves in the top- flight in 1903 where they enjoyed an unbroken spell for nearly 70 years. In 1909 the club moved to Firhill Stadium in the Maryhill district of Glasgow, which is still their home today.
In 1921 Partick Thistle reached the final of the Scottish Cup and were triumphant over Rangers by one goal to nil. However, their Glasgow neighbours gained revenge in 1930, beating Thistle in a replayed final. Soon after this the club adopted their now famous colours of red and yellow shirts which gave rise to their nickname “The Jags”.
The team were usually to be found in a mid- table position but after the war their fortunes improved slightly and they finished third in the League in the 1947- 48 season. This was the highest the club have finished in Scotland’s top tier, a feat that was repeated on a further three occasions, the last being in 1964. Possibly Thistle’s greatest achievement came in October 1971 at Hampden Park when they thrashed Celtic 4- 1 in the Scottish League Cup Final with a team whose average age was only 22.
( 1967- 68)
Back row ( left to right): G. Muir, J. Campbell,
W. Taylor, D. McKinnon, T. Gibbs, A. Duncan.
Front row D. McLindon, T. Rae, D. McPartland, A. Roxburgh, J. Flanagan, G. O’Neill.