The club’s roots go back to 1879 when the Rev. William Pitt founded the Spartans, who amalgamated with St. Mark’s Young Men’s Friendly Society to become Swindon Town FC in 1883. The following year the club turned professional and became a foundermember of the Southern League. In 1896 they moved to the County Ground which remains their home to this day.
Led by the great Harold Fleming, who was capped 11 times for England, they reached the semi- finals of the FA Cup in 1910 and again two years later. In between, in 1910- 11, they won the Southern League Championship which led to an appearance in the Charity Shield against Manchester United, only for them to lose 8- 4.
In 1920 Swindon were elected to the Third Division of the Football League and finished a creditable fourth in their first season. After the hostilities the club’s fortunes declined and re- election had to be sought in 1956 and again the following year.
Promotion was achieved in 1963 but higher status only lasted two seasons. Then came the club’s finest hour in 1969 when not only did they achieve promotion but they beat Arsenal 3- 1 in the final of the Football League Cup with two goals by star winger Don Rogers. Since that time Swindon have usually operated in the League’s third tier although for one season, 1993- 94, they were members of the Premier League.
Swindon Town ( 1968- 69) J. Smith, P. Noble, R. Smart, O. Dawson, P. Downsborough, S. Harland, J. Trollope, D. Heath. F. Burrows, J. Butler, R. Thomas, C. Jones, W. Penman, D. Rogers. Back row ( left to right): Front row: