Having been formed in 1872, Dumbarton are the third oldest League club north of the border. Nicknamed “The Sons of the Rock”, they played at Boghead Park from 1879 until moving to a new ground in the town in 2000.
Dumbarton were runners- up in the Scottish Cup in 1881 and 1882 before lifting the trophy in 1883 after defeating Vale of Leven. They would go on to play in the final a further three times before the turn of the century only to lose on each occasion. The club were also one of the founder- members of the Scottish League and shared the first championship with Rangers in 1891 prior to winning it outright the following season. However, in 1897 they lost their place in the League and did not return to the Second Division until 1906.
Promotion followed in 1913 and they enjoyed top- flight status until 1922. There then followed a long spell in the Second Division before they became champions in 1971- 72 which coincided with their centenary. Unfortunately, the reorganisation of the Scottish League in 1975 meant that they found themselves back in the Second Division.
Since that time the club have only played one season ( 198485) at the highest level and are currently performing in the Scottish Championship. Dumbarton’s all- time record goalscorer with 202 is Hughie Gallacher between 1954 and 1962, and a lifelong supporter of the club was the famous author A. J. Cronin.
Dumbarton, 1937 Back row ( left to right): J. Colquhoun ( Asst. Trainer), A. Young, J. Glass, J. Casey, A. Scott, A. Sinclair, S. Murray.
Front row J Mowatt, E. McDonnell, J. Rae, H. McFarlane, J. Cuthbert, S. Small.