TOXIC WATER WARNING
THE British Veterinary Association (BVA) is warning dog owners to look out for toxic algae in ponds and lakes.
Blue-green algae is a bacteria that forms in natural bodies of fresh water and can be harmful, sometimes even fatal, to pets and wildlife. Dogs who swim in ponds and lakes can swallow the water while swimming, or even lick the algae off their fur after paddling.
The hot summer has caused a spike in the number of algal blooms reported across the country. The BVA suggests you look out for any warning signs put up by the Environment Agency or local councils, and keep pets on a lead around water suspected to have a blue-green algal bloom. Don’t let your pets swim in it or drink from it, and if your dog has been swimming outside, make sure you wash them thoroughly with clean water afterwards.
Symptoms of blue-green algae poisoning can appear within hours and include sickness, diarrhoea, disorientation (dizziness) and trouble breathing. If your pet shows any signs of these after playing in a body of water, you should contact your vet immediately.
Blue-green algae is a natural algae that blooms in lakes and ponds