The 18th-century Château de Reignac in Indre-et-loire, close to Tours, is currently used as a 16-bedroom boutique hotel and houses a wealth of interesting historical and architectural features, including its chapel.
In the 15th century, the Du Fau family, who had just acquired the fiefdom, built a fortified castle. Only the two round towers which frame the façade onto the gardens and the guards room remain from the castle of Jehan du Fau, who was Louis XI’S Grand Master of the King’s Residence in Loches.
Reignac subsequently became the property of Pierre Forget, who was Secretary of State under Henri III and Henri IV, and responsible for drawing up the Edict of Nantes.
In March 1710, Louis XIV raised the Baron du Fau to the rank of Marquis de Reignac sur Indre, in order to reward “our dearly beloved friend Louis de Barberin, Knight, Count of Reignac”. Louis de Barberin commenced major alteration work to adapt the château to current tastes: the moat was filled in, a vast formal park and garden were laid out, outhouses were built to the south-west and an east wing perpendicular to the house was added. A chapel, dedicated to Saint Louis, was built as an extension to the main body of the house. healeyfox.com