Glamorgan Gazette - - Rugby Union -

BRID­GEND SPORTS ... 34 PONTYCYMER ............ 24

THE Sports had to make some in­jury-forced changes from the side that did so well in the sea­son’s open­ing game last week and it was a mea­sure of their strength in depth that they have that the side more than came up to the mark against a strong Pon­ty­cym­mer side.

The vis­i­tors took ad­van­tage of early mis­takes by the Sports to gain valu­able field ad­van­tage. Once more the Sports de­fence was up to the chal­lenge and with­stood the early of­fen­sive of the vis­i­tors.

A good clear­ance kick by fly half Jayce Evans forced Pon­ty­cym­mer into a penalty on their 22 me­ter line that Sports full­back Josh Davies kicked with ease. When, then the Sports at­tacked deep from their own half Evans’ long miss-pass found Josh Davies, he made ground and looked to have put winger Chris Walker in for a try. But no, Pon­ty­cym­mer drove him into touch but Skip­per, Lloyd Wil­son was in good sup­port to score an un­con­verted try to take the lead to 8-0. Pon­ty­cym­mer were quick to re­spond and forced the Sports into han­dling on the deck and scrum half Thomas Davies took the points eas­ily. In the next pas­sage of play the Sports looked pon­der­ous and very flat-footed when slow, poor ball was shov­elled out to fly half Evans, who in turn threw a lop­ing slow pass to his cen­ter that a blind man could have read and Pon­ty­cym­mer cen­ter Kyle Gal­try said “thanks” took the in­ter­cep­tion and scored un­der the posts. Thomas added the points and the vis­i­tors were ahead 8-10. This was some­thing of a wake up call for the Sports as they then at­tacked hard forc­ing an er­ror from Pon­ty­cym­mer on their 22. Skip­per Lloyd Wil­son took a quick tap and when the ball was quickly re­cy­cled to the wing, it was hooker Ryan Wal­lis who was at hand to make the try look easy. A well stuck kick by Davies just failed. From the restart the Sports showed just how dan­ger­ous they can be from un­ex­pected sit­u­a­tions when from noth­ing Scott ‘Scally’ Cal­li­cott opened up the Pon­ty­cym­mer de­fence with a good half break and the whole back row were with him, Andy Gill to Lloyd Wil­son and on to open­side Cory Thomas to turn on the speed and out-strip the de­fence for a try un­der the posts that Davies con­verted to take the half-time score to 2010 to the Sports.

The first 15 min­utes of the sec­ond half, fol­low­ing some rain, saw mis­takes from both sides and a series of mi­nor in­juries mostly to Pon­ty­cym­mer. This caused a loss of con­ti­nu­ity for both sides and the game went some­what flat. Then the Sports came gan con­verted to open up what ap­peared to be a com­fort­able 17-0 lead. How­ever that lead was re­duced by seven points just be­fore the break fol­low­ing a for­ward drive over the line from the Glyncorrwg eight for a con­verted try.

Shortly into the sec­ond half that lead was fur­ther re­duced when a slightly bizarre try was scored af­ter Bryncethin se­cured the ball from a ruck in their own 22 only for the ball to be passed back to a Glyncorrwg player, who sud­denly ap­peared, and grate­fully ac­cepted the pass to stroll in for a con­verted try to re­duce the lead to just three points.

When Glyncorrwg lev­elled the score with a mas­sive penalty kick from the half way line it looked as if they were get­ting the up­per hand but the young home team bat­tled back and, fol­low­ing an­other spell of good han­dling, full back Shane How­ells crossed for a try with 15 min­utes to go.

At this point Bryncethin ap­peared to be in con­trol and were held up on their to life and put in a blis­ter­ing at­tack down the right wing with Keith David prom­i­nent in the ac­tion. They al­most made it to the line be­fore switch­ing it to the left, then a good miss pass by Evans found Cris Walker with some room but his de­flected in­side pass to Josh Davies was so poor it hit the full back’s shins and al­lowed him to drop on the ball for a very lucky bonus point try. How­ever, the kick was any­thing but lucky with a su­perb con­ver­sion from Davies. Now Pon­ty­cym­mer put pres­sure on the Sports and Kyle Gal­try once more read Jayce Evans’ in­ten­tions, and un­der the Sports posts eas­ily charged down an Evans’ at­tempted clear­ance, scor­ing his sec­ond which again was con­verted by Thomas Davies. With just min­utes left the young Pon­ty­cym­mer fly half, Evans ran from his own line and tried a chip over the op­po­nents line on a num­ber of oc­ca­sions but, de­ter­mined de­fence by the vis­i­tors, meant that they could not cross for that cru­cial score.

Into in­jury time Glyncorrwg were awarded a penalty in their own 22, which they chose to run, and al­though they were brought down in the home side half they were awarded a penalty which they kicked to touch and, de­fence, but Lloyd Wil­son took it on the full and saw winger, Cris Walker with space on the out­side, he de­liverd a try scor­ing pass and the winger touched down with­out hav­ing to get to full speed.

Davies con­verted an­other fine kick from the touch­line. It is credit to Pon­ty­cym­mer that they never stopped run­ning and were re­warded on full time when a neat chip from the fly half was well read by that man Kyle Gal­try once more as he touched down for his and Pon­ty­cym­mer’s third try to make the fi­nal score 3424 to the Sports Club.

Next week the Sports are home to old ri­vals Porth­cawl in the first round of the Bowl com­pe­ti­tion.

This is a mouth­wa­ter­ing ex­pec­ta­tion with the sides so evenly matched in their en­coun­ters last sea­son. KO 2.30 at the Band­stand Field. at the re­sul­tant li­ne­out, they were awarded a third penalty which saw their pack crash­ing over the Bryncethin line for the try that lev­elled the scores at 22-22.

Next week Bryncethin travel up the Gary Val­ley to face Pon­ty­cym­mer in the WRU Bowl com­pe­ti­tion be­fore re­turn­ing to league ac­tion the fol­low­ing week when they en­ter­tain Pon­trhy­dyfen.

Shane How­ells scores for Bryncethin


Chris Walker scores

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.