Glamorgan Gazette - - Football -

PENY­BONT .................... 3 TAFFS WELL ................. 1

TWO goals from last sea­son’s top scorer Mar­cus Griffiths sent Peny­bont down the road to a much­needed win over Taffs Well at the Kymco Sta­dium, writes Tony Poole.

Hav­ing lost their last two league out­ings – against Llanelli Town and Goytre (Mon) – this win en­abled Bont to get back on track.

It took Griffiths just three min­utes to strike, latch­ing on to a ball played into the box to beat goal­keeper An­thony Bur­nett.

The Well men nearly lev­elled on the half-hour mark when Sam John­son missed out one on one with goal­keeper Rhys Wil­son.

But six min­utes later, Bont lost player-man­ager Rhys Griffiths to an an­kle in­jury with Ben Sy­mons tak­ing his place.

And the vis­i­tors lev­elled just ahead of half-time when Aaron Thomas got the bet­ter of a one-on-one with goal­keeper Wil­son.

Dur­ing the open­ing stages of the sec­ond half, Mar­cus Griffiths twice just missed out with head­ers.

But the Brid­gend su­per club clawed back the lead on the hour in bizarre cir­cum­stances.

Owain War­low had a shot saved by Bur­nett only for the ball to fall for Mar­cus Griffiths to have a pop at goal.

Though his shot clipped the cross bar, he fol­lowed up and made no mis­take with a sec­ond bite of the cherry.

It was the turn of Ben Sy­mons to bring out the best in Bur­nett in the 63rd minute, and five min­utes later James Parry al­most net­ted on the end of a Kane Owen flag kick.

But Bont made things safe in the 79th minute when awarded a free kick just to the left of goal.

And from 30 me­tres, an un­stop­pable Kane Owen ef­fort flew in to goal to sig- nal the des­ti­na­tion of the points.

Dur­ing the clos­ing stag- sea Uni­ver­sity out of the Welsh Cup in round one.

The Rid­ers made a pur­pose­ful start, the mid­field men dis­play­ing good move­ment, and it led to them caus­ing some anx­ious mo­ments in front of goal for the Neath vil­lage side.

And it was against the run of play when Ynys took a 35th-minute lead when the ref­eree seem­ingly failed to award Cefn a free kick.

Play was al­lowed to con­tinue, and Michael Evans went on to nudge the Welsh League side in front.

But the set­back failed to dampen Cefn spir­its with the mid­field trio of Jason Cave, Cur­tis Grant and on Ferry Llan­sawel at Old Road, writes Tony Poole.

Ferry led 2-0 at the break, Mark Tan­cock and Sam Davies with the goals, but the Brid­gend su­per club were right back in it when golden boy Jerry Silva net­ted on 65 min­utes.

But Ioan Emanuel then con­ceded a hand­ball penalty that led to him see­ing pulled on the gloves and did a de­cent job be­tween the sticks.

But there’s no sub­sti­tute for a recog­nised stop­per, as Garw found to their cost at Sketty Lane.

That said, two play­ers went the ex­tra mile on the day for Ryan Blanche’s crack side – Tondu cricket star Jimmy Hard­wick and top scorer Dale Evans.

But gen­er­ally Garw gave es it was merely a case of Bont cling­ing on to what they had achieved, and ex-Peny­bont star Kieran Davies con­tin­u­ing to call the shots.

More com­po­sure in front of goal was called for after the break, but once more good scor­ing chances went beg­ging.

And Cefn were taught the art of price­less fin­ish­ing power when a su­perb Jonny Evans strike dou­bled the lead on 65 min­utes.

But the Rid­ers re­sponded with Gwyn Thomas lash­ing home a siz­zling 77th-minute goal to set up a grand­stand fin­ish.

Dur­ing fi­nal knock­ings, Ynys paid Cefn a mas­sive com­ple­ment in adopt­ing time-wast­ing tac­tics which proved frus­trat­ing.

But as far as the Neath red and Rob Cann con­verted the spot kick.

Bont have now won two and lost two of their four open­ing league matches.

In the Ivy Court Cot­tages Welsh Youth League last Sun­day, Peny­bont U19s de­feated Risca United, 2-1, at the Kymco Sta­dium.

It was goal-less at half sec­ond best against a side that down the years pos­sesses a su­perb record in this com­pe­ti­tion.

The Garw goals on the day came from Harry Davies while Ryan Pen­nyHughes also cashed in.

So, this was another cup tour­na­ment that Garw can cross off their list for another sea­son.

It leaves them with only one pos­si­ble front in by this stage the sting had gone out of the Taffs Well chal­lenge. vil­lage side were con­cerned it served pur­pose, as their name went in the hat last Mon­day for the draw. time and the dead­lock was even­tu­ally bro­ken on the hour when Cefn Cribwr star­let Ioan Clat­wor­thy shot the Bont Babes in front.

Soon after com­ing off the bench, Jamie Ap­per­ley dou­bled the lead in the 70th minute on the end of a pass from fel­low sub­sti­tute Bled­dyn Web­ster.

Though Ma­son Collins which to gain any cup glory this sea­son – the South Wales Al­liance W J Owen Open Cup.

And next Satur­day the first round of the com­pe­ti­tion is be­ing staged with Garw re­ceiv­ing a bye into round two.

This means they re­sume du­ties in Highadmit South Wales Al­liance Di­vi­sion One on Satur­day at home to rock bot­tom Tre­for­est.

Peny­bont are away on Fri­day night to Bri­ton Ferry Llan­sawel.

On Satur­day, Cefn Cribwr re­main in cup mode, wel­com­ing Graig FC to Cae Gof in the Al­liance W J Owen Open Cup. pulled a goal back, it was Bont who ex­ited with all three points.

In the Welsh Over-50s League, Peny­bont tri­umphed 5-1 at Nel­son with Vin­cent Lewis get­ting four of the goals.

Bont led 2-0 at the break and the other strike was down to goal ma­chine Steve Dal­ton.

Hav­ing only picked up a point from their three open­ing league matches, wins over three high-fly­ing clubs – Cor­nelly Utd, AFC Whitchurch and FC Cw­ma­man – have since righted a rock­ing Blandy boat.

But the vis­i­tors on Satur­day, Tre­for­est, have lost all five league matches, and this means they will be des­per­ate to open their sea­sonal ac­count.


Peny­bont went on to win against Taffs Well at the Kymco Sta­dium

Cefn Cribwr BC cap­tain Tom Har­ris on the at­tack

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.